A cat and a mouse

On campus the next day, Weiwei begins her "avoid-Xiao-Nai" plan. But he seemed to have the exact opposite plan. He started to turn up everywhere she went.

When she left her Discrete Maths class, there he was! Waiting, just down the hallway.

His tall and broad-shouldered figure began approaching her. Why did his stride have to be so confident all the time? She quickly turned the other way.

Later when she got in line at the cafeteria, he merged into the same line a bit behind her.

Thank heavens Xiaoling was with her when they left their maths class. And in the cafeteria, all four of her roommates stood next to her in line.

When she glanced behind her, Weiwei locked eyes with him for a second. In a panic, she gave him a sunny and happy smile. Then she looked back to Er Xi and laughed even though Er Xi hadn't said anything.

"Weiwei, you've been acting really weird," Er Xi said as they sat in the cafeteria together.

"Me!?" said Weiwei with a frozen smile. Then she sighed. She needed to confide in someone. "Er Xi. It has to do with Dreams of Jianghu. It turns out someone I met in the game goes to our school."

"But who!?" said Er Xi. "Is it—?"

"Someone I need to avoid. Just for now. I'll tell you who soon."

Er Xi response was like she was joining a top-secret spy ring. She cluched her hands together, "Oh Weiwei, do you have an in-game enemy who's threatening to expose who you are in real life? Who is it? Which guild? But how did they possibly find out who you are in real life? You're obsessed with your privacy in the game."

Weiwei just shook her head.

Er Xi: "There are such unsavory people out there in the gaming world!" Then she sat up straight. "I support you Weiwei!"

* * * * * * * * * * * *

In fact, while jogging earlier that morning, a certain someone who goes by the online handle Yixiao Naihe has been forming a resolution in his mind. Now it's time for the real blitzkrieg

Also, he tells himself: Weiwei just needs to be pulled into the water with me. Then she'll see... it's not so cold where I am.

He closes his eyes and calls up her entire schedule in his memory.

Despite his best attempts, Weiwei stays close to her friends all day. She's obviously turned them into her security detail. In the cafeteria at lunchtime, he looks at her and keeps his face composed. How easy it would be to shout out her name across the room, just like when they first met in Dreams of Jianghu: "Luwei Weiwei!"

 How easy it  would be to shout out her name across the room, just like when they  first met in Dreams of Jianghu: "Luwei Weiwei!"

When their gazes connect for a second, Weiwei suddenly smiles at him. Actually her smile is so lively that his heart feels moved by an outside breeze. He just wants to reach out and brush back the two locks of her hair falling into her face.

Maybe should he just go and start talking to her? Ask her on a date? With all her friends around,

...hmmm...

No!

That's just making a one-sided spectacle out of himself. Unless she replies with a loud, definite "YES," it won't help him.

What he needs is to tell the entire university's student body, This is my in-game wife, my current girlfriend, and my future actual wife.

One thing he's pretty sure of: Weiwei actually does like him. Should he press that advantage and just walk away? Call her bluff. Maybe she'll quickly relent and run after him.

Give him any game in the world, and he can play it with inhuman focus and iron will. Ever since childhood, he knows this about himself. He's a strategist who can move Go pieces around on a board. He can also move people around just like they're Go pieces.

Only... he doesn't ever want to do that to this pure, brilliant girl whose eyes refract light.

So now he's in the archaeology department. Standing in the hallway outside his father's lecture hall. The class ends and students start spilling out of the doorways.

There! Her elegant figure shines in the crowd. Her hair is up in a bun. But... she looks up and seen him. She quickly turns the other way. Disappearing into the mass of students.

Suddenly he remembers something.

This is my first time pursuing a woman. He feels a bit sheepish.

Most boys have some practice, for example, even just giving some girl a few stupid love notes in grade school....

But then he smiles, because of another thought:

Fortunately, I seem to get good at new games quite quickly.

So he sees now that he is back in Newbie Village. But like with any new game, he knows that when he makes mistakes, he can only do his best to figure out how to fix them all. He'll keep figuring out how to be better for Weiwei.