An Unexpected Chauffeur

Thursday came.

Weiwei's head was swimming with the thought of Xiao Nai.

She just had to finish tutoring little Xiaoyang that night.

And then afterward, a reward!  An online date with Yixiao Naihe.

Then a real date with Xiao Nai!

She felt dizzy thinking about both. Virtual dashen. Real dashen.

When she arrived at her little pupil's house, she was so lost in thought that she forgot Cao Guang gave the kid English lessons beforehand.

"Hi Weiwei," the tall, bespectacled guy said, on his way out. "I'll see you around!"

She watched vaguely as he got on his white scooter and zoomed away, with a sense of relief. It seemed like he'd stopped pursuing her. Just in time. Thank heavens.

* * * *

The bus schedule from Xiaoyang's mother's villa back to campus was like this: A bus came every twenty minutes during rush hour. Then busses became more infrequent. Every hour. Then after 10pm, there was only one more bus.

As Weiwei worked through math problems with Xiaoyang, she felt herself getting anxious.

Usually she didn't even look at the clock when she was tutoring Xiaoyang. It honestly didn't matter to her whether Xiaoyang's mother worked late or not. She liked the little kid. And the extra cash didn't hurt.

(Especially because her mom took her scholarship money!)

But tonight... she wanted to get home so that a woman in red silk attire could meet a certain man in white robes online.

She felt guilty for wanting to finish up and dash out the door.

She felt guilty because Xiaoyang even heard her sighing audibly when she received a message on her computer from the kid's mother:

>>>>> Work is running really late tonight. I'm sorry. Don't know exactly when I'll arrive home yet, but it's probably 7:30PM

7:30... 7:30....? The next bus would be at 8PM. And then after that, 9PM... And then...

9PM would get her back right before curfew. Lights out. No more gaming. She had to catch the 8PM bus!

"What's wrong Weiwei!" said her pupil.

"Nothing, nothing."

They worked through all Xiaoyang's math problems. Then all his chemistry homework. Then biology. There was nothing left to do but chit-chat.

Her little pupil leaned forward evilly and smiled. "So, did you think any more about.... Cao Guang?"

What! More of this nonsense? Weiwei thought.

Weiwei needed to lay the groundwork for Xiaoyang to be prepared for the right guy.

"I thought you found the ideal guy for me! Remember a long time ago... that picture of that man you showed me?" She said. "That young tech entrepreneur?"

The little kid pouted. "You yourself said that he was out of your league!" He crossed his arms on the table and said decisively, "You're getting old. If you want to find a match in your life, you have to be realistic!"

Weiwei couldn't believe her ears. When had her little pupil become a gossipy grandmother!?

"Plus," said little Xiaoyang, puffing out his cheeks, "We don't know anything about the character of that big tech guy. He could be a playboy. I know Cao Guang is nice and respectful and he will treat you well."

"Are you sure?" said Weiwei.

On the other side of the house, she heard the sound of a car pulling into the garage. Xiaoyang's mother was coming home. Finally!

* * * * * * * *

Weiwei tried not to look too hasty as she packed up her backpack.

Xiaoyang's mother entered, taking off her blazer and scarf and putting down her purse.

"Thank you," the mother said effusively. "I can drive you back to campus! I know you have curfew?"

"No need!" said Weiwei. In a rush. "I'll catch the bus."

"No need!" said little Xiaoyang next to her. "She has a friend coming to bring her back to campus."

Weiwei looked in surprise at her pupil.

"Mama," said Xiaoyang, "My English tutor Cao Guang had to do some errands around here. So he told me he'd wait for Weiwei when he's finished, and bring her back to campus."

WHAT!?

Xiaoyang had an impish look on his face.

Who knew that kids had such a capacity for evil!

>_<

Weiwei looked outside the window. Indeed, there was Cao Guang sitting on his white scooter. In fact, he was kind of a tall and handsome guy. And he gave off a vibe of unyielding determination. It wasn't a surprise that so many other girls liked him. He was considered the second-most desirable guy on campus.

But when she out the window looked at him, Weiwei still felt nothing.

Nothing but anger.