A Distinguished Guest (Part II)

(Author note... OK confession: I actually wrote this lecture scene for another fanfiction that I'll start to publish soon. But the scene turned out so perfect for Xiao Nai and Weiwei's bookish personalities that I couldn't resist using it here too. But don't be surprised if I post another story in the future and you see this same scenario with other characters!)

* * * * * * * * *

As lunch winds down, half-eaten plates of buns and smoked duck remain on the table. While the professors continue their conversation, the several invited students wait in respectful silence. Xiao Nai leans back and watches Weiwei. For the entire duration of the meal, her eyes have been glued to every one of Professor Wang's words and reactions.

Weiwei, so this is what you're like around your idol!?

Was I ever your idol like that?

A vague memory drifts to mind. It was the night of his accident. By some coincidence, Weiwei and her roommates came by the same restaurant where he'd had a business dinner. At the sight of him on the sidewalk, all four girls responded with surprised squeals and laughter. Xiao Nai didn't care about the others, but the look of excitement on Weiwei's face... it'd made him smile, that night.

But Xiao Nai knows: his goddess probably tries her best to be a good sport around her friends.

If those other girls get excited about a new brand of BBQ-flavored cashews, Weiwei's going to be delighted by those cashews too.

That night of my accident... that night she seemed so happy to catch sight me...

Was I just like cashews that night?

However, around Professor Wang, it's clear that Weiwei is 100% a fan. Before the lecture, this beautiful girl is dashing this way and that, making sure their dignified elderly visitor is comfortable and happy.

* * * * * * * * *

During Professor Wang's lecture, Weiwei's dignity plunges to a new low.

Sitting next to Er Xi in the audience, the department beauty borrows her roommate's phone and then secretly takes about 20 to 30 photos of Professor Wang. Before each click of the camera, the department beauty covertly glances around, with her lips pressed together.

Xiao Nai thinks, She's never taken a picture of me.

He appreciates one thing, though: Unlike most girls, his goddess would trade every single milligram of her beauty to be like Professor Wang.

Bei Weiwei: forty years from now, will you really become this plain older lady wearing a brown wool dress suit?

It's unlikely. Bei Weiwei's face and figure are already very different from Professor Wang.

But still, a frumpy, elderly Bei Weiwei would be quite nice too... as long as she was the wife of a certain someone about to graduate from Q Unversity.

Xiao Nai's mind flashes forward into that imagined future. The two of them on a sofa in their home together.

A pot of hot tea on the table.

Afternoon light falling across the carpet beneath their feet.

Perhaps he'll talk out loud, musing over challenges they face at work. Or maybe they'll just work side by side, scribbling on notepads in silence.

Not a bad future.

Not bad at all.

* * * * * * * * *

The time has come for Professor Wang to leave campus. While gathering her belongings, the older woman gives Bei Weiwei her business card.

Weiwei just stands there dazed, holding the card in her two hands and looking like someone handed her a winning lottery ticket.

Weiwei, Xiao Nai thinks. It's not like you won the lottery, OK?

All of the professor's contact information is publicly available on her faculty webpage ah! >_<

* * * * * * * * * * * *

//////END OF THE CHAPTER//////

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Note to readers:

Hi everybody!

This alternate universe has reached a crossroads. I hope you can give your input...

In the following chapters, there's going to be some slight rivalry between Xiao Nai and Cao Guang....

Should a love triangle lead Xiao Nai to become a little more jealous and possessive? Or should Weiwei and Xiao Nai's connection stay more straightforward, like in the TV show, where there's never any serious possibility of another suitor? What do you think?? Please "vote" in the comments.

I apologize in advance if the alternate universe doesn't ultimately take the direction you prefer. If you hate the outcome, please use your hatred to write some of your own LO2O fiction! I'd like to read as many stories about Bei Weiwei and Xiao Nai as possible!

Thanks for reading. Your "comments," "likes," and "follows" are always so inspiring and lovely.

[Edit: Voting was closed in 2020— but thanks for all your feedback!! it's really fun to hear from you]