Meeting in the game

A slight sense of unease is weighing on Xiao Nai. Miss Bei seems very elusive these days.

She hasn't replied to his message yet. Whenever he approaches in a hallway, she seems to walk the other way. She hasn't logged on to the game for three days. (His phone is configured to 'ding' whenever she signs on.) And she doesn't have a cellphone!

Now that exams are over, she's not studying much. All she's done lately? Watch three episodes of a pirated Korean idol drama and also some online shopping.

Otherwise, her computer mostly sits on her desk unused.

He knows this because of the activity-monitoring software his buddies set up on her computer. This was when he was stuck in the hospital hoping to find out if Weiwei was OK, in the days after he vanished before the Couples Battle final.

But now he realizes it's time to stop watching her. If she's going to be his real girlfriend someday, she needs own private life back. It's not like she's spending much time on her computer anyway. So he de-installs the surveillance software.

And then, the feeling of a big, enormous question mark floats into the air.

What are you doing right now, Bei Weiwei?

Maybe he can call her dorm phone. However... if a roommate answers and hears a man's voice, rumors will overflow. It's probably the outcome that'll make her the most infuriated.

Finding a way to speak to Weiwei seems harder than making contact with alien life.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Weiwei woke up the next morning thinking about Dreams of Jianghu. Maybe it was because of her video-game dream. She's been avoiding the real game. She just didn't know what she would say if she logged in ... and then came face to face with Yixiao Naihe or any of his teammates.

On the other hand, she really missed playing side by side with him. Couldn't they rewind to two months ago?

Did all things like this eventually have to change?

She looked at her clock. 5:47AM. Her roommates were still in their bunk beds asleep. The curtains in their dorm room were still drawn.

It felt like the campus was deep in collective slumber—especially now that exams were done.

She peeked out of the curtain and saw a few people jogging slowly.

I'll just log in to Dreams of Jianghu for a few minutes, instead of going running. She told herself she'd just walk around and see old sights, maybe like the in-game bridge where she and Naihe first negotiated their online marriage.

She was safe. No one ever logged into the game this early.

... except this morning... >_<

Yixiao Naihe appeared a moment after she went online.

(Why was he also playing so early? Is this how he became such a good player? Secretly practice alone in the morning, when all other Capital City players are asleep!?)

  >>>> [ Yixiao Naihe: ] Weiwei

  >>>> [ Yixiao Naihe: ] Let's go fight a boss together

Miss Bei felt a small sense of relief curl through her body like a breeze.

Fight a boss... just like the old days....

On the quest map, they found a quest that was a big challenge for most players. But for Naihe and Weiwei, it'd be pretty easy. The boss, a hyena demon, did mostly area-of-effect attacks from afar. Naihe started to say, Weiwei, you go forward. But at the exact moment she rushed ahead. Of course. They were in sync. As usual.