A Distinguished Guest (Part I)

The next day, Weiwei had almost no time to think about Xiao Nai.

It was a busy day.

That day, a distinguished female alumna, Professor Wang, was scheduled to visit campus. Mrs. Wang had studied in the CompSci department about thirty years ago.

Even right now, the CompSci department still only had a handful of girls.

Imagine...

Back in Mrs. Wang's day, Mrs. Wang was probably the ONLY girl, studying alongside thirty boys!

Professor Wang truly went on to distinguish herself in the field. She developed a compression algorithm that cut down the time it took to encode texts written in Chinese.

A decade later, this great woman also wrote a famous essay about how the world could achieve great things by developing the hidden talents of women in computer science.

Actually, Weiwei kept a copy of this essay in her desk drawer. When ever her grades began to slip, she read it. Reading the essay was like hearing a great older woman cheering for her from a mountaintop: "Weiwei加油!"

On campus, when news spread that this gray-haired woman was returning, many students shrugged. Professor Wang's glory days were over. She taught at a small university now, and didn't really have any recent industry connections.

To many students, this professor was like some kind of an accomplished dinosaur.

But Weiwei had an entirely different view!

A month ago, the school's department chair, Professor Cao, asked Weiwei: "Will you help facilitate Distinguished Professor Wang's visit?"

Weiwei was so excited she thought she'd faint. Professor Cao smiled, watching the girl take begin taking detailed notes while Department Chairman Cao described the day's events.

The schedule that resulted looked something like this:

10AM meet Professor Wang's taxi at school entrance

10:30 bring Professor Wang to the department for faculty welcome

11AM: new building tour and plaque dedication

1PM: lunch at department common room (bring cooked food?) Order from Mrs. Jiangs

3PM: lecture and Q&A for students

5PM: call taxi for Professor to return to train station

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Mrs. Wang's afternoon lecture was the opportunity for students to hear her speak, so Weiwei felt especially honored to follow the professor around—the whole day!

Although.... a few star students were also invited to the lunch.

Students who wouldn't embarrass the school if they opened their mouths.

Xiao Nai was invited.

Of course. He made the department look really good.

But Weiwei didn't have any time to worry about any of this. She was too busy wondering if Professor Wang had packed the right clothes for the weather that day.

Should Weiwei bring an umbrella for the Professor in case it rained? Did she need to provide tissues? Eyeglass cleaner?

Maybe lend the professor a thin jacket?

Hold on... Weiwei's jacket was a ridiculous-looking polka-dotted thing for students.

OK, she would quickly go buy a thin neoprene jacket in advance. Pay out of her own pocket... it was ok, she'd just tutor a bit more later to make up the cash.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

At the small department lunch, Xiao Nai finds himself seated across the table from Professor Wang. Weiwei is seated by the professor's side, helping serve dishes that are too far away, and pouring her tea.

Also, Xiao Nai's furen is studiously avoiding his gaze. He tries to give her his most winning look, but she glances away, turning pink.

The department chair makes a speech about the greatness of their university's past and present computer science students.

"Mrs. Wang is the best proof of our department's greatness," he says. The gray-haired woman smiles, embarrassed by the exaggeration.

Then everyone begins eating smoked duck and jellyfish.

In between bites, Department Chair Cao asks Xiao Nai to explain ZhiYi Tech's projects. So, of course, Xiao Nai obliges.

As he talks, Professor Wang nods her head with admiration.

Seeing the older woman's approval, Weiwei can't help herself: she sends an excited grin in Xiao Nai's direction.

Outwardly, the senior student continues speaking with barely a pause. But inwardly, the sight of Weiwei's bright smile fills him with delight. The sense of delight is so strong and unexpected that he almost feels like he's hurtling backwards in his chair.

It's lucky I'm sitting down! he thinks to himself.