... And an Unexpected Chauffeur

"Let me just give you a ride back," Cao Guang said to Bei Weiwei. He sat on his scooter in the courtyard.

His tone was casual, as though they were friends. As though he'd never made up an evil, scandalous story about her on the Internet.

"No need," said Weiwei. "I'm taking the bus."

"Well then I'll go with you to the bus stop. I just want to say something to you. "

It wasn't worth arguing with this guy. She was laser-focused on getting back to the dorm.... Logging into Dreams of Jianghu.... Meeting Yixiao Naihe....

So she walked at a fast pace, and Cao Guang rolled slowly on his scooter by her side.

"Look," he said, "I just want to say, I'm really sorry. You've expanded my worldview."

Weiwei shifted her backpack. "It's OK."

"And you got me a job tutoring this great kid. I really like Xiaoyang."

"You got yourself that job," she pointed out.

"You made the introduction, so... Thank you."

They were almost at the bus station. Weiwei checked her watch. Ten minutes before the bus would show up. They just had to turn the corner and go down the street.

Then suddenly, Weiwei stopped in her tracks.

Oh shoot!

"What's wrong?" Cao Guang looked at Weiwei.

"I've forgotten my notebook at Xiaoyang's house!" she said. "I was showing him some notes from my maths class."

Cao Guang replied, "Are you just making up an excuse so you can turn around and avoid me?"

"No, I really left my notebook there!"

She would have to run. If she ran, picked up the notebook, and ran back, she could probably catch the bus....

... otherwise, no game tonight!! No Yixiao Naihe!!! NoOoOoOoo..

We were going to meet at Sunset Peak and discuss what to do for our date tomorrow! Our second real-life date!

Seeing Weiwei's panic, Cao Guang put both his feet on the ground. Leaning back with a slight smug smile, he said. "Come on. Get on my scooter. It'll be so fast this way."

Weiwei hesitated.

He added, "I'll just drive you there and back to the bus stop. Seriously. I'm not going to do anything..." His voice trailed off.

Then he said, "We're just friends now." (Although she doesn't know we're a couple in the game! he thought to himself.)

Furrowing her brow, Weiwei relented. She really, really needed to catch this bus! So she hopped on the scooter behind Cao Guang.

After she retrieved the notebook, she climbed back on and Cao Guang began driving them back toward the bus stop. 

"I can drive you all the way to campus."

"No, it's OK. My 8PM bus should be just a few minutes away."

"Ok, then hold on to me. We gotta go faster so you don't miss it."

Weiwei stiffly rested her right hand on Cao Guang's shoulder.

Holding his shoulder is probably best, she thought. I don't want to touch him anywhere else. But I don't want to fall off either.

I'd be safer holding his waist... but that is so... suggestive...

It was a cool summer evening.

Seven minutes left to catch the next bus.

Five minutes...

Weiwei allowed herself a smile, thinking about the Lady in Red's upcoming date with the Man in White.

Turning around a corner, Cao Guang drove on. The bus stop was in sight. Across the street, the milk tea cafe still had its cheery lights on.

In fact, the evening weather was pleasant. Not too smoggy. Weiwei actually started to relax a little on the ride, enjoying the breeze. Her fingers rested on his shoulder, and her forearm hung down across his back. As Cao Guang neared the bus station, he pulled to a stop.

And then suddenly, Bei Weiwei saw a car.

The driver's-side window was rolled down.

She breathed in sharply.

> o <

Xiao Nai!

Weiwei scanned his elegant face, framed in the window. She was startled by the swirling light in his eyes. He was staring back at her.

There was a pained look on his face.

But what was Dashen doing here!?

* * * * * * * * * *

Xiao Nai is having the equal, opposite thought.

Furen!? What are you doing on the back of this man's scooter!?

The evening is cool and Xiao Nai sees that his wife actually looks relaxed, sitting behind Cao Guang on the scooter. She's looking far into the distance. Her hair trails in the breeze. Her hand is resting lightly on their guy's body.

So this is envy, he thinks to himself.

He isn't worried at all that Cao Guang will steal Weiwei's heart. She doesn't care about the guy. Xiao Nai can feel it.

But maybe because she doesn't care about Cao Guang, she looks so relaxed behind him.

So beautiful. At ease.

Xiao Nai is thinking of her face during their first in-person meeting by the campus bridge. That day, she also looked mind-meltingly beautiful. But shocked and shy too.

Confused.

On guard.

How long has she known this foolish classmate of theirs? Xiao Nai wonders. Why does he already get to see her relaxed and happy?

Xiao Nai tries not to think about Weiwei's thighs straddled on the seat and her body pressed against this other man.

He watches Cao Guang hold his scooter steady, acting all courteous, so that Bei Weiwei can climb off.

So Xiao Nai emerges from the car. He very deliberately opens the passenger's-side door. Then he goes back, his tall and steady figure dominates the sidewalk.

"Weiwei," he says, facing her. "I came to pick you up."