Chapter Eighteen

I often find I was most happy while with America, drinking tea in the gardens as she watched the twins play. As October came to an end and the big halloween ball tomorrow night the days were cooler, but not as cold as they would have been back home in Carolina. The wind was a cool, crisp, and whistful thing blowing through my long hair like fingertips. America's lovely red hair was tied back in an elegant bun.

   She took a sip of her tea and placed the cup and saucer on the table. I liked watching the twins play, it was nice. Cohen was pulling yellowing leaves from the branches of the trees while Angelina sat with her back against the tree trunk trying to weave them into something I couldn't decipher at the distance I was at.

"You like children?" America asked me.

I turned to look at her, smiled and nodded, then looked back again.

"You don't have any siblings?"

I shook my head and looked at her again. "I'm an only child"

America smiled. "I was the middle of five"

I laughed. "It must have been nice having siblings." my smile faded a bit and I stared at my hands. "It was just me"

America's lips parted and she inhaled a deep breath, in the way one does when they're about to ask a question. "Alessandra, sweetie'

I turned completely to face her and she looked at me with eyes like ice but not cold, if that made sense. "Do you want to have children?"

My cheeks burned scarlet. "Well I mean..."

America sensing my discomfort and laughed. She reached over taking my hand in both of hers. "I mean when you're older, Alessandra"

I blinked. "Oh! When I'm older of course I mean, I-" I bit the inside of my cheek. "I don't really know. I do love children though. I always wanted to be a doctor but the kind that deals with children."

She smiled and it spread to her eyes. "The twins are very fond of you"

I laughed. "Only because I get them out of trouble."

America tilted her head and her smile widened. "You're so modest"

I opened my mouth to protest but I couldn't think of one concieted thing to say about myself. Umm.

"I'm actually extremely arrogant"

She burst into laughter.

"Its true!" I insisted. "I ummm have gorgeous eyes!"

That'll sell right?

She raised an eyebrow. "Alright then"

"Lady Allie! Lady Allie!"

    I looked over and saw the twins running over. I put my tea on the table and got up to meet them halfway. When I did I bent down in front of Angelina who extended a pile of leaves to me.

"Look!" she squealed.

I smiled. "Those are very lovely leaves. You can put them in between the pages of a book and preserve them."

Cohen giggled. "No silly!" he lifted the three large leaves and under it was something else. "Its a crown!"

   And strangely it was. It was the colors of autumn, red, orange, yellow, and even a deep red and purple. Angelina extended it to me and I touched the leaves in awe.

"Is that what you were doing?" I asked.

She nodded and her locks bounced.

"You're awfully good at weaving things"

She laughed. "It's for you!"

I blinked and touched my locket. "For me?" 

   Cohen and Angelina nodded. So carefully I took the woven crown from her small hands and examined it. It was just incredible. She was so young and she was able to make something so lovely. I looked at them, as if I needed their permission, and they waved their hands motioning for me to put it on my head. I swallowed.

    Growing impatient Angelina rolled her eyes.

"Give me that!" and she snatched it from my hands.

"Angelina" America said, sternly.

  Angelina got to her tip toes, as I got to my knees and she placed it on my head. Cohen and Angelina stepped back at they looked proud. As if they found the cure fore cancer or made world peace.

"Well?" I looked at them. "Do I look royal enough?"

     They grinned from ear to ear.

"Like a princess!" Cohen cooned dreamily. 

"Let's dance!" Angelina ran yanking my hands along with her.

     She spun and I tried to keep up with her. Eventually I lifted her from her feet so we were the same height and she laughed.

"Let's dance"

"Hey! Me too!"

    I lifted Cohen too, and balancing them on my hips I spun until I heard my brain rattle inside my head. I never heard children laugh so hard before. They asked me to sing for them so I sang for them the first song that came to head.

"Alessandra?"

Amidst the laughter I stopped and faced America. "Yes?"

"What are you wearing for the ball tomorrow?" she asked.

"Oh I don't know. Probably a regular dress" I said. "I don't dress up much"

    America pursed her lips in the way that I knew she was thinking of something she looked me up and down touched the corner of her mouth and her eyebrows drew together.

"Hmm."

"What?" I asked.

"I think I know exactly what you need"