Chapter Thirty Four

Interview, after conference, after television apperance, after photoshoot. The palace was in a frenzy and I hadn't seen Will all week. He sent me letter after letter all piled high on the night stand in my bedroom. This must be as hard on him as it is on me. Ever since the so called "Attack" Illea hasn't been at rest. All week the selected have been trying to deal with the press to calm things down. 

    I was twisting the ring on my finger and couldn't help the nauseating feeling in my stomach. This was what life would be like if I became princess. It's overwhelming now imagine one day if became queen. I started to question my ability to do all of this. Cecilia was going through the motions gracefully and regally. Krystal did what she did best and added humor to everything, to not make things feel so heavy. Constance and Beverly I ahrdly paid attention to. They were asked once about their distance New Asian roots and that was it. Tiny was really my only companion. She added an opinion here and there, softly and deliberately and everyone seemed to take great interest in what she was saying.

    I sat on my stool fiddling with the beads on my dress. I was happy we were sitting on stools because when I wear open back dresses the back of the chair usually bothers me. It had a bateau neckline with long shimmering sleeves and it hugged my figure all the way down to my knees where it flared out. 

   I continued to twist my ring as the interviewer asked Cecilia more questions. I didn't feel like answering anything. This interview was going to be in next weeks magazine and had to be done asap to reach the deadline. Afterwards we needed to take pictures and I really wasn't up to it. I continued fiddling with the beads on my dress.

"Lady Alessandra"

I looked up and blinked. "hmm?"

The interviewer cleared his throat and repeated his question. "What do you think needs to be done in order for Illea to create peace?"

"Peace?"

The interviewer nodded. "New Asia has already tried attacking us and breeching our borders. What should we do to create peace with them?"

"No peace" I said. "War"

   The girls all gasped and the interviewer looked like he was at a loss for words.

"She doesn't mean that" Constance said quickly.

"Yes I do"  I said. "lllea has been an impartial third party from the beginning."

The man was scribbling down what I was saying at lightining speed and the other man held a tape recorder.

"Illea is home and we have to protect it. They have already threatened us and attempted to breech our borders meanwhile we had nothing to do with their conflict with the Europeans. If we let them get away with this they'll think Illea is weak and only wants peace because we cannot defend ourselves. New Asia does not want peace they want war, power, and conflict. We could be on the brink of another World War but so be it. If that's what they want then let's go." I declared. "We'll give them Hell while we're at it."

   Everyone was shocked for a moment but I went back to fiddling with the beads on my dress. After a few awkward moment shte silence broke and all the girls jumped to correct and fix what I'd said. I didn't argue with them I just ignored them. When the interview was over we all stood to take pictures.

"Alright all of you line up," the photographer said. "Just one last group photo and we'll use this on the cover"

   We all stood in formattion and smiled as the cameras clicked away. I plastered on my best smile but in reality all I wanted to do was collapse into bed after a long day. Cecilia was a machine though. She looked like she could do this forever and not crack. She smiled and once the camera stopped clicking she continued a conversation with the interviewer. As the ladies were talking and conversing the photographer snapped candid photos of the selected ladies.

"What's the matter?" Tiny asked. "Are you alright?"

I nodded. "Just tired"

Tiny giggled. "Aren't we all?"

I smiled at her. "I'm surprised you're still standing."

This time she laughed. "Yeah. I'm usually the first one collapsing of a panic attack"

"I'm very proud of you" 

Tiny beamed. "Thank you"

  The workers started putting their equiptment away and I took that as my permission to leave but when I turned Tiny held my hand and smiled. The photographer clicked another photo and I smiled wrapping my arm around Tiny. I wonder how she got her name.

Tiny.

   I looked over and in the door way of the small ballroom we were in I saw Will talking to a few guards. Immediately I wanted to run to him but it looked like he was talking about something important.

"Allie"

I turned my head.

"Come" Cecilia smiled. "Take a picture with me"

  To my great dismay I posed for some more pictures and by the time I was done  my cheeks were hurting.

"Pst"

   My head snapped around at the sound but none of the girls had said anything. They were talking to each other and the photographers. Even Cecilia was talking to the interviewer.

"Pst"

  I turned my head again and saw Will leaning against the door frame. He had his arms crossed and one leg swung carelessly over the other. He had a funny smile. He flicked his head and I broke out into a smile. I picked up my skirt and yanked off my heels and ran over to him. He peeled himself from the door frame and threw his arms around me, lifting me from my feet.

"You look lovely" he said into my hair.

"You look tired"

He laughed and set me on my feet. "Its been a long day darling. But," he held up a finger. "I have a surprise for you."

My eyebrows pressed together and I titled my head. "A surprise?"