Chapter Forty Nine

The ballroom looked like something magical. Fall colors swept through the ballroom. Beautiful deep reds, golds, and oranges covered the windows in curtain form and the tables in cloth form. There were candle sticks everywhere and there wasn't an inche of the room that didn't have food somewhere in sight. 

   I dressed best I could. I wore a deep red open back dress with silk sleeves. Emilie and Leslie wore brown and orange. As always I had to look like the odd one out with them. The night seemed to pass by in a blur for me. It was all just pointless chatter with people I didn't even know or care about. 

   The Queen and I of course avoided each other at all costs. No need to start a brawl. Funny as it was I actually caught a glimpse of daddy having an extremely funny conversation with the king. It made me smile. Daddy never really interacted with people back home. Maybe he's found a one shot friend that won't make the night so lonely for him.

   Finally unable to stay inside for any longer I walked out onto the balcony with a glass of champagne in my hands. I couldn't understand why I was having such a miserable night. Seeing all the girls with their families and watching everyone interact had never left me feeling so alone before in my entire life. 

Where was Will?

  "Alessandra."

I turned around. "America."

   I smiled as she made her way towards me. I always admired her and her beauty. She was graceful and elegant and everything I wanted to be. I admired her resilience and strength. Why couldn't I be more like her?

She extended her hands towards me and I took them. "You look lovely."

"So do you!" I replied.

She smiled.

"Have you seen Will?" I asked. "I've been looking for him all night."

America shook her head. "No sweetheart I'm sorry. He's probably off last minute royal things. I haven't seen Godfrey tonight either and that other lovely girl that seems to stick to my grandson like a shadow. I can't remember her name..."

I rolled my eyes. "Ora. Yeah they're in love."

She furrowed her brows and tilted her head. "What do you mean-?"

"America, darling!"

   We both turned around and Maxon was waiting inside.

"We're about to make a toast." Princess Rosie said who was standing besides him. "Mother asked for you."

"Come," America slipped her arm into mine. "You might as well get used to the demanding life of a royal while you have the chance."

                                                                      ***

"Will!"

  Immediately he turned around and I walked over to him as fast as I could in the heels I was wearing. He smiled weakly at me.

"I've been looking for you all night!"

"I know, I know, I'm sorry." He kissed my cheek. "I had a few things I needed to take care of."

"You missed dinner."

He nodded. "I know, I'm sorry believe me."

     I had been dealing with his mother's scruitny all night. The stares the snide comments the silent jaunts. I was fed up. I wanted the night to be over. No, correction. I wanted Will to swoop me off my feet and dance with me at least once. In a way I felt guilty. Something must have happened with the New Asia situation. I could see it in his eyes and how tense he was. I wanted to offer up some kind of solace to make him feel better but I didn't know how.

I shook my head. "It's alright." I took his hands. "Do you want to dance with me?"

Will leaned over and kissed my forehead. "As tempting as that sounds I have a million people I need to meet and greet."

My heart hit an iceberg. "oh."

"Later, I promise. Save the last dance for me."

I nodded. "Of course."

And then it. Sank.

    I watched him walk away until he was out of sight. So many parents and so many girls he needed to talk to. Would this be married life? Constantly having him swooped away to talk to everyone else? I felt like I was hardly being acknowledged? Damn it I should be.

Who's his future fiance here, anyway?

  Looking around all I saw were smiling faces. Smiling, laughing faces. Tiny's smile was so wide I was surpised she wasn't bursting at the seams. Krystal was laughing so hard she was turning red and I couldn't help but take into account the lovely Ora and Godfrey. Just dancing together on the dance floor wrapped up in each other's arms.

   I sat down at one of the tables and watched them. They looked like one person just swaying to the beat of the music. Piano man was deep in thought the way he always was while he played. Even Constance and Beverly were having a grand old time.

Even them.

 What was wrong with this picture?

"Hey."

  I looked up and Thomas was standing next to me. I smiled. "Hey Thomas."

"Why are you just sitting here, Allie?" he asked. 

I shrugged and messed with the fabric of my dress. "Nothing."

I got pretty for nothing. Just to sit down here and be ignored.

Thomas extended his hand to me. "Come. I have to talk to you."

   I sighed heavily ready to protest but one look at him told me not too. Instead I listened, taking his hand and I was pulled to my feet so quickly I lost my breath. I didn't realize we were running until we made it out the ballroom doors and I had to pick up my dress to keep up with him.

"Thomas!" I wined. 

"Just wait."

   We ran down the long hallways in the palace until we came to what looked like a kind of green room except the was furniture inside and plants outside the glass. I felt so confused. I hadn't even seen this room in the palace yet, how did Thomas know it was here.

"What are we doing here-?"

   Before I had the chance to utter a word he spun me around and Thomas's lips were crushing mine.

-

-

-

Like I said.

One more book to go ladies and gentlemen.

Shit's about to hit the fan.

XOXO Lilly