Chapter Thirty Two

My immediate reaction was to scream, which I did. The sound of sirens blared out above my ears and the glass window next to me shattered. I fell to my knees and shards of glass fell onto the skirt of my dress. Immediately I looked around to see where the gun shot had come from. I heard the screaming and sound of opening and closing doors. Suddenly the hallways were frantic.

   I ran as fast as I could not knowing were I was going but in that moment of pure terror the only I thought of was Will. I had to find him he could be here. What if he was hurt? What if he was shot? I couldn't process anything. What was going on? Were we being attacked? Invaded? That was impossible the Illean palace was one of the most heavily guarded places in the world. No one could surpass these walls.

Not in the last 40 years.

Boom.

   Everyone screamed and covered their heads. Were those bombs?

Boom.

   Those were bombs. Bombs were going off but I didn't understand something. Why could I understand anything. If those were bombs why wasn't the palace crumbling to pieces. It felt like an Earthquake but it sounded like bombs. The windows were shattering, even the vases, for no apparent reason. 

   What was going on?

   More gun shots and this time when the next bomb sounded the palace shook.

It shook.

  I grabbed onto the wall for support but the high pitched noise was hurting my ears. What was this? This was chaos? I had to find Will. I had to make sure he was ok. I ran down the next hallway and to my greatest relief Will was standing on the other end trying to help a maid stand up. She must have fallen down the stairs. I hiked up my skirt as best as I could and I ran to him.

"Will!"

The maid was immediately forgotten when Will looked up. "Alessandra!"

   I wanted to fly to him or reach out and pull him into me but I couldn't. I wasn't moving fast enough. 

"Alessandra move!" he yelled.

  It was too late. The window next to me shattered and I felt the shards of glass pierce the skin underneath my dress. Everything went in slow motion after that. I think I screamed and fell. I regretted wearing such a large dress today because I could hardly gather myself. I couldn't think straight there was a searing pain burning up my left side. I was dying. I was going to die. And all I kept doing was praying, praying to God that there would be someone to watch over daddy for me when I was gone.