Chapter Forty Seven

"Happy birthday to you!"

I leaned over and smiled. "Happy Birthday Daddy."

   Daddy blew out the candles and we all clapped. After I insisted, we all sat down in a small dining room  surronding a small table and cut a cake. Thomas passed around the plates while Emilie and Leslie handed out forks and napkins.

   This was the kind of thing that made me happy. Simple sweet family get togethers. What would it be like once I lived here in the palace? I kept second guessing myself when I knew I shouldn't but I just couldn't help it. I wish there was a way I could weave Will into my world. A simple world.

   I wish things between Will and me were the same as when I was with Thomas. Thomas and I, while we had our differences and problems, had a simple understanding of each other. We knew what the other one wanted and we both always made that happened. We understood each other's needs. I understood Thomas had the job he had as an actor and he understood I had a responsibility to my family. I understood his way of life and he understood the simple way of mine.

  Maybe that was why we lasted so long.

  I wanted Will and I to last, forever in fact, it was just that I felt like the odds were always against us. His mother couldn't stand me, I lacked the qualities of a princess, and we had a knack for fighting. I watched as daddy cut up his birthday cake and a smiling Emilie and Leslie helped him put it on plates.

   Playfully, Thomas scooped up a blob of frosting and smeared it across daddy's face. I laughed.

"Are you five?" I asked.

Thomas shrugged and flashed his signature kind smile. "I guess."

"Oh Thomas," Emilie scurried for a napkin. "You'll never grow up."

Leslie rolled her eyes. "Clearly."

Daddy just smirked. "I missed this." he said.

   Everyone went silent and I felt Thomas lean in closer to me. I flashed a look to Emilie and Leslie who looked as confused as I did,

"We haven't all been together in so long." he continued. "I missed being a family."

I offered him a weak smile and squeezed his hand. "We will be. Soon."

"Just on a larger palace scale" Emilie teased.

Leslie giggled. "With a bunch of royals."

I guess we'll see.