14

Liam Rawley

"There's the birthday boy." Brady greeted excitedly after I opened the door," You, my friends are an adult now and so you need adult things."He gave me a box wrapped in some red and black wrapping paper.

Yes, I was turning 18 and no I wasn't enjoying it. It might sound stupid but my birthday is usually my worst day of the year. I was pretty sure that I was cursed or something because bad things usually happen. For example, when I turned 7, my parents separated. When I was 13, my pet hamster died and when I turned 17 was the worst because my mother announced that she was leaving for Paris.

"Brady, you didn't have to get me anything," I said and saw how excited he look about it with a wide grin on his face.

"How bout' opening it first."He suggested.

I grabbed the box and opened it, revealing a red sweater.

"It's a Dexter sweater."He mentioned, "It's stupid but I just thought that you'll like it because you'll know how hard it was for me to find something personal to give you."

The sweater had a picture of a few small weapons such as a knife and a needle arranged in a row and under it wrote "How to be DEXTER."the last part was on the bottom and was the biggest word.

"I love it."I said sincerely with a grin, "But I can't wear this to school tho."

"I know."He rolled his eyes, "Speaking of which, we should get going."

&&&&&&

So far, the day had been great. Brady really made my morning by giving me that silly sweatshirt and now, my friends are planning on which place they want to take me even though I kept saying that I don't want it.

"How bout' that birthday restaurant," Dan suggested.

"The one that sings 'happy birthday' to all of its customers? You do know that it sings none stop?"Tess explained.

"Or we can make a surprise at his house," Roy said as if I was not sitting there with them.

"I'm literally in front of you."I said sarcastically, "But seriously, I don't want any celebration. Can we just pretend that it's a normal day?"I looked at my watch to see that I was late for class, "I gotta go. Don't make any surprises."I said while walking away.

As I was rushing to my class, I accidentally bumped into someone and dropped some of my books.

"I am so sorry."I said genuinely while trying to pick up my books as the person just stood there, "I didn't mean to "After I stood up, I was faced with the guy that Tess roasted after making a Harry Potter reference to make fun of me. Looking at him closely, he was very attractive with his bright blue eyes and dark brown hair.

"No, I'm sorry."He said.

"Okay," I nodded awkwardly and was about to walk away.

"I'm sorry for making fun of you the other day."He took a step in front of me while I tried to walked away, "I wasn't being homophobic or anything."

"You called me Gayfindor."I pointed out.

"As a joke."He defended, "Truth is, I'm not all straight either."

For some reason, him saying that made me super nervous. He seemed fine with confessing that to me and it almost seemed like he was flirting with me.

"Anyways, you can go to wherever you were rushing to."He shrugged, "I'll see you when your friends not attacking me."

"Yeah, I'll see you."I chuckled. I shouldn't have been laughing at his joke.

He then left and I continued to walk to my class, slower this time.

&&&&&&

After school, I got out early again and waited with Dan outside. It was kinda crowded at the moment since my class got out early and eve everyone was hanging around.

"Hey, Gryffindor,"

I turned around to see the guy from earlier again. He was wearing his football jacket and had his hands inside the pockets.

"Hi."That was all I said.

"You dropped this just now."He handed me a piece of paper, "From when you bumped into me earlier."

"Oh, thanks..."

"Jake."He introduced.

"Well, thank you, Jake."I let out a smile.

"Hey, I really have to go."Dan pointed out, "You okay if I leave you?"

"Yeah, Brady is on his way, "I mentioned,
"I'll see you tomorrow."

Dan nodded and went to his car.

I turned back to Jake, who was already looking at me, "So, Brady is your brother or something?"

"More like a bodyguard, "I said sarcastically.

"Why do you need a bodyguard?"He asked, "Is your father like the president or something?"

"Nothing like that."I rolled my eyes, "It's a long story."

Before he could say anything else, Brady pulled over near us, "That's my ride."I pointed out.

"Yeah, okay."Jake nodded, "It's nice meeting you."

I waved him goodbye before getting into the car, "You too."

"Did you came out early?"Brady asked, "If you did, you should have called me."

"Relax, Dan was with me, "I assured,

"I don't see him around." He said bitterly.

"I'm sorry," I muttered.

He looked all tense for some reason as his grip on the wheels got tighter and I felt like something was not right.

"Did something happened?"I asked softly.

"It's nothing serious."He shrugged, "I just saw some police cars passing by on my way. I thought that it was heading to school. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's fine."I assured, "I appreciate you looking out for me."

"Anyways, "He shrugged, "Who was that guy you talking to?"

"Oh, that's Jake."I said awkwardly, "I'm pretty sure he was flirting with me earlier."

"He was?"Brady raised his eyebrows.

"I guess."I mumbled, "Do you think I should ask him out?"

"Nu-uh."He shook his head, "Never make the first move. Make him wants you, not the other way around."

"Wow, when did you become a dating expert?"I joked.

"I'm not."He rolled his eyes, "I'm just a guy. I know what guys like."

"I'm a guy too."I pointed out.

"Yeah but you're more of a kid."He said sarcastically.

"Jerk."I rolled my eyes, "Any more advice?"

"Let me think."He thought about it,
"Pretend like you don't care and ignore him when he talks. That'll drive him crazy. I know that it would work for me."

"Noted."I nodded.

"I'm telling you that as a friend."He added, "As the guy that is looking out for you, make sure that you don't have sex with him."

"Brady, "I groaned, "I'm not having this talk with you."

"You have to."He pointed out, "As a former high school boy, I know that once you give it to him, he'll act differently."

"I'm not listening to you anymore."I covered my ears and ignored whatever he said next.