Chapter 15: Sensory Overload

Bex felt like she had only just closed her eyes before Monday morning came. She forced herself through her usual morning ritual before walking to school. She walked up the steps two at a time and sat at her usual spot. Opting out of sitting with Lyssa.

She wasn't mad at Lyssa, just frustrated. Every time she felt like they were making actual progress into becoming real friends something would happen and she would find herself back at square one.

Her frustrations were made worse by the killer headache she's had since the day before. It took her forever to fall asleep with it, only to wake up and still have a headache. She groaned and rubbed her temples as she sat at the table.

"Freakshow!" Monroe called.

"You okay Bex?" Darci asked.

"My head is killing me," She grumbled.

"She's coming," Joan warned.

Bex looked up and saw Lyssa making a beeline for her.

"Ugh," Bex groaned as she rubbed her temples.

"Rebecca, can we talk?" Lyssa said in her usual fake accent.

"Do we have to? I have a headache," Bex pouted.

"Just take a seat," Mike suggested.

Lyssa frowned and didn't move to sit down.

Bex sighed and got up to follow Lyssa, taking her bag with her. They walked into the girl's bathroom, where Lyssa made sure they were alone. Bex crossed her arms and eyed Lyssa expectantly.

"I want to apologize for how I acted yesterday," Lyssa dropped the accent now that they were alone.

"What was that?" Bex asked.

"Seeing her... it's hard for me. I didn't mean to lash out at you. I just get angry and all these wounds feel like they are ripping right open all over again. What I did was foolish and uncalled for."

"Hey," Bex grabbed Lyssa's hand in her own. "It's okay. I get that whatever happened must be hard to think about. I didn't mean to upset you. I just wanted to look at your drawings."

"Why?" Lyssa asked.

"Because I thought it might help me figure you out more. I just, want to know more about you," Bex felt her cheeks flush.

"You shouldn't. The more you know me, the more you will hate me. I'm not a likable person," Lyssa took a step back, wrapping her arms around herself.

"I don't think that. Sure, you're uh... rough around the edges. But, you have your good qualities too."

Lyssa raised an eyebrow.

"You do, I promise. Like, you came and apologized to me. Not a lot of people would do that. So, thank you."

Lyssa let her lips tug up into a small smile.

Bex blushed even brighter at the sight of it.

"We still on for after school?" Lyssa asked.

"Ugh!" Bex banged her head against the wall, "Do we have to?" She complained.

Lyssa winced at the sight, her own headache pulsing in her skull.

"Yes."

"Fine," Bex mumbled before pulling back to look at Lyssa.

Lyssa rolled her eyes.

"Hey, would you say I have redeeming qualities?" Bex asked as they walked out of the bathroom.

"No," Lyssa said firmly in her fake accent.