Chapter 24: Till Death Do Us Part

Bex sat on Joan's bed and scrolled numbly through social media. She was trying to remain optimistic. If anyone could fix this it was Lyssa. Right? Her stomach turned with each passing minute. It didn't help that she could feel Lyssa's emotions.

Lyssa was afraid, a deep fear that wouldn't just go away by facing it. More than that Bex could feel how sad Lyssa was, the kind of sadness that was so strong it turned into anger and regret. She only heard Lyssa's thoughts when the vampire let her.

To Bex's surprise, she and Lyssa learned how to control the thoughts part of their bond in less than a day. It was easy to Bex, just like putting up a curtain in your brain. If she didn't want Lyssa to hear, then Lyssa couldn't hear.

Which turned out to be a great relief. She was afraid this whole hearing her thoughts thing would be the straw that broke the camel's back. Luckily, she was starting to get a real handle on this blood bond stuff. Either that or the bond wasn't strong enough to the point where she would hear Lyssa's thoughts 24/7. She didn't want to think of that possibility though, for now, she was happy with the thought that she had a handle on the situation.

Well, one situation at least. She sighed and set her phone down. She was worried sick about Lyssa. She knew Lyssa was strong, but that Lacy girl handled her like nothing. She didn't want Lyssa to get hurt. She just wanted this whole nightmare to be over with so she could go back to her normal-ish life with her vampire master nagging her all the time.

"Stop worrying," Joan chastised her.

"I can't! What if she can't handle it on her own? What if she gets hurt, or worse... god, I just want this nightmare to be over," Bex ran her hands down her face.

Her voice was raspy and harsh sounding, being as her throat was now really bruised as she was almost choked to death. Her eyes were bloodshot from said choking and she felt exhausted even though it was still fairly early in the day.

"Do you really love her? You know like death do us part love?" Joan asked.

Joan's hair was braided per usual, her braid resting over her shoulder. She was sitting on the floor cleaning her stakes with a wet rag and a bucket. She had on a denim jacket and army style pants that were tucked into her combat boots. Her back was to Bex, but she could make out Bex's reflection on the Tv screen.

"I don't know... I guess I was being dramatic, but I really do care about her, a lot. She's grown on me. You know? I just... I want a chance for us. I feel like we just barely found each other, that this could really go somewhere special. It's a weird feeling, I mean before a few weeks ago romance wasn't even on my mind. To be honest a romantic relationship always felt so scary to me. It was like this big deal and I was just afraid to even try. Now..." Bex trailed off.

"Now?" Joan turned to look at her.

"Now I just feel sick to my stomach that something might happen to her. Now she's all I can think about. Even when we aren't together, we are. This bond between us, I used to think it meant nothing. That it was just Lyssa's personal dinner bell. But now I know it is so much more than that. It's a real bond, I feel her Joan. In my heart, in my head, I feel her all the time. It's beautiful, to be able to feel and understand someone on this level. I'm not sure many people on this earth can say they have felt what I am feeling now. We are connected and I don't want to lose that."

Joan sighed and went back to her work, pushing her clunky glasses up the bridge of her nose. She tried her best to hold her tears in. It hurt her to see the girl she loved, be in love with someone else. A vampire to add insult to injury. Then Joan had a selfish thought, one she immediately felt guilty for having. For a moment, she wished that the other vampires would kill Lyssa, so she wouldn't have to watch Bex be with her. She quickly pushed the thought away and continued her work.