Chapter 23: Negotiations

"Okay wait, let me get this straight. Lyssa is actually a vampire; you are her slave, and you are a vampire hunter?" Mike said in confusion.

Mike, Jaden, Joan, and Bex all hid out in the storage closet where the school put spare chairs and broken printers. It was messy and cluttered, but it was all they had at the moment. Mike and Jaden sat down on some chairs while Joan and Bex stood.

"Pretty much," Joan said.

"Wait, that blond girl—"

"Is also a vampire," Bex cut Jaden off.

"Whoa, this is some next level supernatural stuff. Vampires are real?" Mike ran his hands through his shaggy brown hair.

"Among other things," Bex shrugged.

"Okay so this whole time, ever since you tried to tell us Lyssa was a vampire, you've been her slave? And you've been keeping it a secret from all of us?"

"I'm not her slave, at least I don't like to call it that. I'm her partner, err blood bondy. Anyway, the point is we are connected because she drank my blood. I can hear her thoughts and feel her emotions among other things like sense where she is and if she's in danger. I kept it a secret because Lyssa said if I didn't Vampire Slayers would try and kill her, and she was right," Bex crossed her arms and eyed Joan.

"It's my job okay, besides we made peace until blondie just showed up out of nowhere! Two vampires in the area is one too many. We need to find this girl and kill her."

"Lyssa is handling it, you can't just kill people."

"She just tried to kill you!"

"It's complicated okay. Lyssa still has feelings for her, they have a history. If you kill her you will only be hurting Lyssa and I won't let you do that."

"You don't have to protect her; she is the one putting you in danger."

"I'm putting myself in danger. Lyssa hasn't made me do anything. I let her drink my blood. Stop trying to blame her when I am the one responsible for my own actions and decisions. If you want to blame someone, blame me."

"She commands you around like a dog! She is mean to you and uses you. Don't think for a second, she actually cares about you. She just wants your blood, the moment you stop being useful to her she'll get rid of you. So, why do you keep defending her?"

"Because I love her!" Bex shouted.

The room went silent.

Mike and Jaden glanced back and forth between Joan and Bex.

Bex felt her face go red.

Joan felt her heart crack inside of her.

"She's not a monster. I care about her. I... I love her. It's complicated okay," Bex felt her eyes water as she plopped down into a chair.

"I thought you said you two were just friends. That you don't want a relationship."

"I want to get to know her better, I want her to get to know me. I want her to take me on a date and make silly memories with me. I want to experience the whole journey of a relationship mile by mile. That means being friends first before begin anything else. Just because we are only friends doesn't mean I don't care about her. These past few days I've really gotten to see a whole other side to her, and I know there is so much more to see. I don't want you to hurt her, I don't want anyone to hurt her. If you hurt her, you hurt me," Bex looked up at Joan and Joan watched as tears streamed down her face.

Joan swallowed down her emotions of betrayal and jealousy. She knew Bex's happiness came first despite her hatred for vampires. She would always be Bex's best friend before she was anything else. She sighed and sat next to Bex.