Chapter 7: Natural Curiosity

Sunday's were what Bex liked to call bum days. They were designed specifically for Bex to lounge around the house and be a bum. However, this Sunday was different. Ever since she ran into Lyssa, every day was different. How could it not be when you get enslaved by a vampire?

She needed to know more about vampires. Specifically, Lyssa. She engrossed herself in all things related to vampires. She reread old novels like Carmilla and Dracula. She watched vampire shows and movies. She went to vampire fanatic websites. Her natural curiosity could not be satiated.

"Remember the plan?" Abby whispered to her brother as they spied on Bex from the doorway.

Bex shoved handful after handful of popcorn into her mouth, her eyes glued to her tv where Interview with a Vampire was playing. Candy boxes and wrappers surrounded her on the bed, and a half-empty soda bottle sat on the floor.

"Straight to the point and as painless as possible got it," he said.

"Remember, if we mess this up, mom won't pay us."

Nathan and Abby shared a smirk before walking in.

Bex had wrapped herself in a cocoon of blankets. Her curtains were drawn shut. The only light source in the room cam from her tv. As usual, her room was a total disaster. Clothes and books were thrown everywhere from this morning's hunt to find her old copy of Dracula. Beside her on the bed was a mountain of snacks and the books to the Twilight Saga, as well as the book Carmilla. Her laptop was open but the screen was dim.

"Hey there, Bex," Nathan started.

"Emm?" Bex didn't peel her eyes away from the screen.

"So, how was your date with your girlfriend, Lyssa?" Abby teased.

Bex chocked on her popcorn and burst free from her blanket prison.

The sibling snickered at her reaction.

"Girlfriend!?" Popcorn dribbled out her mouth as she talked.

"Yeah, your girlfriend. It's okay, we know everything, even that you two had sex." Nathan shrugged.

"Sex!?" Bex grabbed the remote and paused the movie.

With one large gulp, she swallowed down all the popcorn in her mouth and eyed her two siblings as her face turned cherry red.

"Lyssa is not my girlfriend," she was finally able to get out after an awkward pause.

"That's not what she told dad on the phone yesterday," Abby smirked.

"What!"

"Just admit it, you are totally caught," Nathan smirked.

"No, I—it's not like that."

The lights flicked on as Bex's dad entered the room, causing Bex to squint her eyes.

"Whoa, this place is a pigpen," Abby wondered at the room now that the lights were on.

"Get out!" Bex threw a pillow at them.

The siblings laughed and ran out of the room to collect their money.

"Dad I can explain, it's not what you think," Bex got out of bed and walked over to him.

His face contorted in discomfort.

"Lyssa and I, we aren't, I didn't... look this is all some big misunderstanding."

He placed his hand on her shoulder and cleared his throat, "At your age, you are going to be feeling all sorts of strange things in your body. Your um... private areas will start to tingle."