Chapter 26: Love Bites

What did Bex do as she waited for three days to pass? She mostly slept. She needed to, in order to heal faster. She slept almost the whole day away, only waking to eat or when Joan came to check on her.

Joan knew she needed to come up with a plan. No way was Bex going to be able to survive the feeding frenzy that Lyssa was sure to be in once she woke up. So, with the help of her dad and the doctor at the hospital a few blood bags went missing. Although they didn't like the idea of supplying the vampire with food, they had to side with Joan and admit it was better than risking someone's life.

So, on the night of day three Joan met Bex outside her house carrying a small cooler in her good arm.

"What's that?" Bex asked as they walked to the mansion.

"Insurance," Joan said.

"Insurance?"

"My insurance just in case she goes into a frenzy, I don't want her to accidentally kill you, so I brought back-up."

"Is it blood? Where did you get blood?"

"The hospital, my dad knows a guy."

"You told your dad!" Bex accused.

"Relax, I didn't tell him much. I just told him that we needed blood to prevent Lyssa from going into a frenzy. He knows to give me space when it comes to protecting you."

"Still," Bex looked around as if expecting to see vampire slayers hiding in the bushes.

"Just relax, come on. I still think nightmare barbie and ken are around here somewhere," Joan glanced around.

"You do?"

"Emm, my dad said reports are coming in from all over the city. Ever since the fight, five people have come up dead. The official story, heart attacks. The unofficial story, they were all drained dry. They are still around here somewhere. Either they are too injured to leave, or..."

"Or?" Bex gulped.

"Or they are sticking around and plotting revenge. Either way, we need to be prepared for when they make their grand reappearance."

Bex clung closer to Joan and eyed her surroundings.

"I don't think they will attack us yet, they still need to heal themselves, but we are at the disadvantage because while they can just drain someone and magically get better, we need to heal up the good old fashion way," Joan sighed.

"Yay for being human," Bex said sarcastically.

Joan snorted in amusement.

They walked into Lyssa's house and once again made their way to the basement. Bex revealed the secret room, this time she was more prepared as she brought a lantern and set it on the ground, and let it light up the room. Joan set the cooler down and popped it open revealing the blood bags.

"Okay, just take it easy, a small cut. Just to wake her up, then I can give her these," Joan said.

Bex nodded and lifted up the lid. Lyssa was still there, though she looked a little worse for wear. Her cheeks were sunken in, and she looked older. Like she was decaying. Bex got goosebumps on her skin at the sight of it. Then she quickly took out her pocketknife.

She and Joan shared a look before Bex cut a tiny line on her wrist. Bex winced in pain but held her wrist steady as the first drop of blood slid down her arm and onto Lyssa's lips. Lyssa's eyes shot open.

They were glowing bright red.

Before Joan or Bex could react, Lyssa bolted upright and chomped down on Bex's wrist.