Chapter 21: Hears a Thought

Bex and Lyssa laid on her bed as the sun shined softly through the sheer curtain early Sunday morning. Lyssa had come over to Bex's house at Bex's request. She wanted Lyssa to spend the day with her just being normal teenagers for once. At least that's what she told Lyssa, but in reality, she just wanted to know more about the vampire.

"What will your parents say when they see me here?" Lyssa used her fingers to twirl a lock of Bex's hair in her hand.

"They will probably be mad; they don't like you very much. But I am sure once you properly apologize to them and tell them we are just friends now they will be fine with it."

"So, it is my job to deal with your parents?"

"If you wouldn't mind," Bex smiled.

The smile made Lyssa get all tingly in her chest. She loved that smile. She would always love that smile. That smile was powerful and Bex was only the second person she'd known who could pull it off so effortlessly.

"I don't remember what my parents looked like," Lyssa said out of nowhere.

"Really?" Bex asked.

"Well there wasn't exactly photography back then plus I only knew them briefly."

"Tell me," Bex moved closer.

"When I was young around the age of five my house was broken into and robbed, my parents, killed. After that, I became an orphan and lived in orphan homes. It was not very pleasant is all I can remember from that part of my life."

"How did you get turned into a vampire?"

"Now that I do remember. In fact, I'll never forget it. I was roaming the streets looking for scraps and a job as something. Anything would do I just really needed money. I had run away from my orphanage and I was dying of starvation. There were these men on the street by an alleyway. They promised me that if I could show them a good time, they would make it worth my while. I was stupid and desperate, so I agreed. They raped me, beat me, and left me to die."

"Oh my god! That's horrible!"

"Lucky for me my blood drew the attention of a certain vampire. He was old and lonely. He thought that if he turned me that I would stay by his side. So, he did. I stayed with him for a week or two as he told me everything I needed to know about vampires. Then I went out for my revenge. I found those men and enjoyed every last second of their death. Then I took my fury out on the orphanage. The man who turned me tried to warn me that what I was doing was wrong. I got mad at him and thought he was controlling me, so I killed him too."

"Lyssa."

"I tell you, Rebecca, I am not nor have I ever been a good person. I have killed many people, some good, some bad, some just because. If you really want to know me, then you should know that I used to enjoy killing. It was what I looked forward to every day."

"Why?"

"When you are turned into a vampire, there is this rage that comes with it. Sometimes it can be hard to control it. As a girl back then I was powerless, my word meant nothing to anyone. I could only do what men thought appropriate of me. To have power like I was given did something to me. It made me feel strong to be able to bring those men to their knees and begging for my mercy. I loved it."

"What changed?"

"Me. Years of me losing the ones I loved and always having to be on the run. It is too much work to try and be able to take joy in all that has caused you pain. Plus, I had to kill someone I loved once and after that, I was never the same."

"Who?"

"The vampire I created. I had never done it before, and it was all new to me. I thought I could help him, I saved him. He was like a brother to me. I saw myself in him. But like me he let the power go to his head, he killed a lot. It wasn't like it was back then, killing that much in one go drew national attention. I tried to show him the way, I tried to teach him, but he would not listen to me. He was just so mad at the world. He drew slayers to us and witches too. I had to kill him for my own safety."