Chapter 11: Blood Bonds

The two girls sat at the small round table, across from one another. Bex blinked expectantly at Lyssa, who had her arms crossed and resting on the table. After a moment of awkward silence, Bex began to unwrap her takeout.

"Full disclosure, I haven't had a serious blood bond with someone in over a hundred years. All the bonds I've made accidentally over the years I ended quickly before they could develop into something serious." Lyssa said in her usual fake accent.

"By end do you mean kill?" Bex said around a mouth full of food.

Lyssa crinkled her nose at her.

"Most faded on their own before I had to resort to that."

"Wait, before you go on can I ask you something?"

"You just did," Lyssa frowned.

"Are you faking sounding American? I heard you earlier, you sound kind of British."

"Do you ever have a serious question?"

"What? I think it's serious. Well, are you?"

"Yes. When I move to a new area, I have to quickly learn the lingo and language as well as their accents. Having an accent in a foreign land is a common way to get caught by slayers. If one doesn't want to be found out so quickly it's better to look, act, and sound like a native."

"So right now, you're faking it? You don't have to fake it around me if you don't want."

"Slacking now could lead to slip-ups in the future. I don't want us to become comfortable with one another. We need to keep this professional."

"Says the girl who spies on me when I sleep and cuddles me when I'm unconscious. Super professional by the way," Bex rolled her eyes.

"Don't test me."

"Just saying," Bex held up her hands in surrender.

"Fine, you want me to be me. You are absolutely disgusting, you're room is always filthy. You eat like a caveman, and you have no concept of manners. You are a detestable person and just associating with you makes me feel icky," Lyssa said in her natural English tone.

Bex broke into laughter, spitting out chunks of food in the process. Lyssa cringed away and made a face of disgust.

"It's not funny you imp," Lyssa hissed.

This only made Bex laugh harder.

"Okay, okay, okay, wait. So, this whole goth getup? Is that fake too?"

"What do you mean getup? I wear what I please. My style changes depending on my mood. This decade I have been feeling very morbid and dark. The goth style is an extension of my mood, insult it and you insult me." She said seriously.

Bex laughed some more.

"You are ticking me off," Lyssa resumed her fake accent.

"Okay, sorry," Bex snickered trying to get herself under control.

"Now can we get back on topic?"

"No, only if you talk with your British accent, I like it," Bex smirked.

"Are you mocking me?" Lyssa narrowed her eyes.

"No really, I do. Come on, it's okay."

"It's not a British accent you twit," Lyssa explained, back in her natural tone. "It's an English accent, Victorian English to be exact. I hail from Liverpool. I was born in 1806 and changed into a vampire at the age of 17."

"Wow, you're old..." Bex made a face.

Lyssa narrowed her eyes at her.

"Okay, I'm done. Honest. Continue."