Chapter 6: An Agreement

Darkness. When Lyssa's eyes fluttered open, she was greeted with utter darkness. They darted to the left, then the right, only darkness. She knew exactly where she was, and as the realization dawned on her panic quickly took hold of her.

She tried to move but found her body uncooperative. Everything just felt like dead weight. Her arms moved sluggishly as she attempted to push the lid open. She was too weak to even do that.

"Let me out!" her voice cracked and even to her ears, she sounded like a defenseless weak child.

"Rebecca! Hello? Let me out!"

Lyssa's head was quickly filled with thoughts of the worst-case scenario. Had Rebecca left her alone? How long had she been in there? Day? Weeks? Years? She closed her eyes tight and tried to get her emotions under control.

But it was no use.

The space was too small, too confined. She needed out. This couldn't be happening again, she told herself. There was no way she was going to be trapped in here again. She pushed at the lid, her nails clawing at the wood, but it was no use.

Bex opened her eyes, having fallen asleep on Lyssa's couch. Her phone rang for the umpteenth time. She sat up groggily and grabbed it, realizing she had slept the day away. Her stomach growled in protest. She ignored her dads call and looked to the coffin.

A faint whimpering drew her attention.

"Lyssa?" She stood up.

Lyssa's eyes shot open at the sound of Rebecca's voice.

"Rebecca! Let me out!"

Bex quickly walked over to the coffin, heaving the lid up. A very disgruntled Lyssa fell out onto the dirt, scrambling away from the coffin. She was obviously shaken up, taking in large gulps of air to calm herself.

"Lyssa are you okay?" Bex kneeled down next to her.

"Don't you ever put me in there again! Never!" Lyssa cried.

"I—I didn't know what to do. I'm sorry," Bex moved to help Lyssa up.

To her surprise, Lyssa thrust herself into her arm and broke down into dry sobs. No tears were actually produced, but it was clear Lyssa was crying in some type of vampire way. Bex awkwardly wrapped her arms around the pale girl and pat her on the back to comfort her.

Lyssa was drenched in a cold sweat. Her wounds stilled gaped open. Though Bex did note that they were considerably smaller.

"Don't put me in there," Lyssa's voice cracked and came out in horse whispers as she shook in Bex's arms.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. It won't happen again," Bex apologized.

Lyssa pulled back to look Bex in her hazel eyes. Bex got caught up in the chartreuse color of Lyssa's eyes, her chest tightening at how close Lyssa was. Lyssa leaned in and for a second Bex that she was going to kiss her. Her face went bright red and her body tensed up.

A kiss was not what she got.

Instead, Lyssa's lips went to her neck and she bit down. Bex winced at the sudden pain which was quickly replaced by a tingly sensation that ran down her spine and radiated through her entire being. Her body came to life with a burning desire she had never experienced before. She found her arms wrapping tighter around Lyssa, pulling her closer.

Her phone began to ring again but that ring felt distant and faded away as Bex lost herself in the haze of euphoria. With each gulp of blood Lyssa's wounds healed up more and more. Bex could feel herself getting light-headed. Her arms fell slack.