Chapter 18: Human Day

Bex was the first to wake up. With a groan she sat up, her body sore and aching all over. She glanced around the room which was brightly lit by the sun. Her head whipped to the window which was when she noticed the sun already high in the sky.

"No, no, no, Lyssa! What the hell!?" Bex turned to her accusingly.

Lyssa was still out of it. Her head rested peacefully on a pillow.

"Lyssa?" Bex shook the vampire but the girl did not wake.

"Lyssa this isn't funny," Bex shook harder.

Still nothing.

Bex sat there for a moment, trying to feel Lyssa's emotions. Something that would tell her Lyssa was okay. But all she felt was comforting peace. So, she did the only thing she could think of. She called Joan.

Joan answered after the first ring.

"Bex! What the hell? Your parents are worried sick about you. I've been calling you all morning. Are you okay? Did she hurt you?"

"Joan something's wrong with Lyssa!"

"What do you mean?"

"She won't wake up. I thought you said vampires don't sleep unless they are in their coffins."

"They don't."

"Then why do I have a sleeping vampire laying naked right next to me!?"

"I don't know. Maybe she's dead," Joan sounded annoyed.

"Lyssa!" Bex tried shaking her again.

"Where are you?" Joan asked.

"Ha! Yeah right. Like I'd tell you where she lives."

"Do you want my help or not?"

"Just tell me what to do! How do you wake a sleeping vampire?"

"You don't. It's best to kill them while they are asleep."

"Theoretically say you did want to, how would you do that?"

"Silver?"

"Well, no way she anything silver in here!"

"Okay, uh... garlic?"

"Ding, ding, ding wrong answer!"

"I don't know," Joan snapped. "Does she have a cross or something?"

"A cross..." Bex thought back to what Lyssa said about faith. About how even a toaster could do it if you believed it would.

"Bex?"

"I got an idea, I'll call you back," Bex hung up.

She looked around the room and grabbed a random book off the shelf.

"Uh, this book compels you!" Bex tried to sound menacing.

She felt ridiculous.

"This book compels you to wake up!" she tried again.

"Okay faith come on. You have to believe," Bex pat her cheeks as she gave herself a pep talk.

Then she set the book on Lyssa's forehead and tried once again,

"This book compels you!"

It didn't work.

"Ugh! Come on you stupid thing! Lyssa, please don't be dead," Bex whimpered.

She looked around the room for something else to help her, running a hand through her frizzed out hair. She was stuck. On the one hand, she could just wait to see if Lyssa eventually woke up on her own. On the other, she could call Joan, a vampire slayer who might take advantage of the situation.