XXII

"It was hard to believe that she hated all others except him

"It was hard to believe that she hated all others except him."

_____________

Ace

I climbed up the stairs and entered Hailey's room. She was sleeping, unaware of my presence. Her body was relaxed. I wanted to go back downstairs, but it was hard to ignore her.

She was strikingly beautiful like a magnificent dream. Her beauty was not limited to her features; it was rooted deep within her soul. I told her about my past. I killed men in front of her, yet she didn't hate me.

She unlocked something in me. It was strange; somehow, she managed to see through the mask that I wore. I wanted to protect her from pain. She deserved to live a better life with someone who loved her.

She could have left me drowning in my misery, but she stood by my side. I lashed at her, I yelled at her yet, she stood by my side. I never felt emotions except anger or pain, but she made me feel other things.

"Ace." Hailey yawned, flexing her arms.

"Get up. We are going out," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Going where?" She asked, her face lit like a child.

"Grocery shopping."

"Fine. I'll get ready asap."

I nodded. We were not going grocery shopping; I lied to her. I was taking her for a boat ride in the town's lake. She would enjoy it. I wanted to make her smile.

I waited impatiently in the hallway. Will she like the surprise boat ride? What if she hates boats? Why the hell am I over-thinking?

I took in a deep, deep breath.

"Ace," Hailey said, walking towards me.

She was wearing an off shoulder dress. It was bright red, cherry-red to be precise. Her hair was arranged in a messy bun. I stared at her without blinking.

"Let's go." She smiled.

I nodded, walking towards her. I offered my hand to her, and she took it. We left the house smiling, silently.

***

I was driving for half an hour, and Hailey was growing impatient with every passing minute. We had left the market far behind.

"Ace, we are not going to the market?"

I locked my tongue in my mouth and ignored the question.

"I asked you something."

"Do you trust me?" I asked, keeping my voice as gentle as possible.

"Yes."

"Fine, then keep quiet for a while."

"You are an irritating jerk."

"I know."

She laughed.

I parked the car in an empty plot. We got out. Hailey scanned the surroundings, trying to guess the location. I took her hand in mine and guided her. She looked bewildered. After a short walk of less than five minutes we reached the boating lake.

"We are going to go for a boat ride. I thought it would be nice for a change," I said, looking towards Hailey.

Her cerulean eyes glittered with surprise. A broad smile was on her face. No sign of bewilderment.

"I haven't gone boating in years."

"Oh! My fault I should have asked you." I sighed in disappointment.

"I didn't mean it like that. My dad used to take me for boating. This lake and boats refreshed old happy memories," she said.

"Let's rent a boat."

She nodded.

We rented the boat and paddled it. The air was fresh and chilly. The clear blue water looked like a reflective mirror. Hailey sat in front of me. A big smile was on her face. She looked like a child who had opened his first Christmas present.

"Ace, look." She pointed towards a boat near the bridge.

I looked towards the boat and saw a young couple. They kissed. I felt as if I was watching a young adult romance show on television.

"They are cute, aren't they?" She asked.

"Yes. Very cute."

"Did you just agree with me?"

"I did."

"Are you sick?" She asked suspiciously, raising her brow.

"No." I crossed my arms over my chest.

She put her hand on my forehead as if trying to check fever.

"What is wrong with you?" I jerked her hand away.

I should have never done that. She will think that I am rude.

"Sorry. You never agreed with me before." She laughed.

Her laughter was real, genuine, and pure. I don't know why, but I smiled back.

A/N: This is a very rough draft forgive me for the grammar errors. I was busy with study and exams :)
Hope you enjoyed reading. Don't forget to vote.