I

"Whiskey is the potion that fades the pain of deception

"Whiskey is the potion that fades the pain of deception."

________________

Ralph

I glanced at my Patek Philippe. It's half-past two; dad is nonetheless to return. I instructed him to stay at home and rest, but he never listens to me. I know he'll be drunk, and this time I'm not leaving to search for him.

The ear-piercing sound of the doorbell startled me. I strode off towards the door. My fingers reached for the knob. I rotated it; it opened with a small click.

The man standing outside was none other than my dear father. For a moment, I wished to let him slump to the ground, but he was our boss. He was the pinnacle of our Mafia, the capo-di-tutti-capi.

"R-r-r-ralph!" he slurred, the flask of whiskey slipping from his hand. The heavy scent of alcohol bedraggled his breath. He swaggered left to right. His wrinkle-covered pale skin looked like the skin of a porcelain doll. We shared the same emerald-green eyes, but my hair was blond shiny like pale sunlight compared to his hazel-brown hair.

He looked at me with his half-shut eyes, passing me his signature smirk. "R-r-ralph! You are still awake?"

"Father, this is enough. Be quiet. I'm taking you to your bedroom." Being the boss of the Hernandez Mafia was tough for him; he stayed busy or drank into a pub like a seasoned drunkard.

My great grand-father was a refugee from Italy. He stumbled into New York with nothing but a few torn clothes and a sharp brain. He ended up joining the dark world of the mafia, and we are following his legacy.

My father trained me to take his position one day, but my mother betrayed him, and that broke him.

"O-o-okay..." he muttered under his breath.

Seeing him like this: my shoulders stooped like a branch bearing too much burden. I took his arm, placing it on my shoulders. I gripped his back with my free arm, dragging him inside.

Deception in love left a deep wound in his heart. He uses alcohol to forget his pain. Women break the strongest men. Love is the drug that disrupts you.

I still remember him as the man that I saw as my idol. His lightweight snoring brought me out of my thoughts' labyrinth. I dragged him upstairs, tripping from a couple of stairs, hitting many walls. I struggled to balance his weight against my own.

I tucked him in his vast four-poster bed with velvet sheets. I removed his shoes and socks with utmost precision, unbuttoned the upper buttons of his shirt. Then, my eyes darted towards a tiny black colored envelope peeking out from his vest pocket. I tore the envelope and discovered a celebration invitation card.

Beautiful calligraphy highlighted every letter. The silver ink shone against the dark black background. The card seemed like a piece of artwork.

It read, "Cordially join the Mafia Queen, Miranda Kings for the celebration. A special evening of drinks, dancing, music, and fun. On Friday, August, twenty-eight two thousand eighteen.

"To be held at the Grand dance hall of the Plaza Hotel, New York City.

"DRESS Code

Gentleman: Black tie/bow tie; tux; mask.

Ladies: White dress; eye mask.

Relive Truman Capote's Black and White Ball."

Miranda Kings' was the lady who could bring the strongest man on his knees. She was lovely and powerful. She had great taste, and the card was a little example of that taste.

I rolled my eyes, placing the invite card back into the envelope. Miranda Kings celebration meant I had to accompany my father to another of her lavish parties.

I took in a deep breath and went towards my father. He was sleeping. The dark circles under his eyes are more prominent than before. Wrinkles covered his sharp features. He looked old, frail as if he would turn into ash with my touch.

"I love you, dad. Sleep well," I whispered, leaving him in his tranquil sleep.

A/N: Thank you for reading this small piece of my imagination. Hope you enjoyed reading. Don't forget to vote.

capo di tutti i capi (Italian: [ˈkaːpo di ˈtutti i ˈkaːpi]; "boss of all [the] bosses") or Godfather