XXIII

"When you make a choice, you change the future

"When you make a choice, you change the future."

Deepak Chopra
__________________________

Ralph

Freezing water crashed with my face. The blow almost knocked me out. My skin went numb. I felt as if my body temperature had dropped low. Extremely low. My eyelids were heavy. Exhaustion filled every cell of my body. I jerked my head.

I was in a dark room. They had not killed me. Not yet. But why? They had not injected drugs into my body. My vision was clear.

Somebody had wrapped bandages around my hands. I had lost count of days. A week had passed or a month?

"My poor, poor Ralph," said a female voice laced with a luxuriant Spanish accent.

Who the hell are you? I wanted to yell, but speaking was an effort. Moreover, I was in no place to ask questions. My back ached. The headache was mild but still there. It was like the constant beating of drums in my head.

"Ralph, why are you not speaking?" She asked in a sweet voice. Her voice was a sweet poison.

I ignored her. It was the best thing to do.

Her heels cracked against the floorboards. It was a sharp, irritating noise. She was walking towards me. Her thick accent was exactly like the man who tortured me.

"Look at you; so, broken and weak. You brought this upon yourself," she said, lifting my chin with her finger.

Her face was familiar. I've met her before, but where?

"Remember me?" She asked.

"Perhaps," I muttered under my breath.

Her cherry tinted lips curled into a cruel, gorgeous smile. She sat on the stool in front of me without breaking eye contact.

"You never felt anything for me, did you?"

"What are you talking about?" I asked. My throat was dry like deserted land.

"Don't worry. I will tell you everything." She laughed a malicious, devilish laugh.

"I know we have met before, but where?" I said, my voice cracked. I was shivering. My face was frozen. My hands shook. The icy-cold water was doing its trick.

"Miranda Kings invited you for a masquerade. It was held at the Grand Dance Hall of the Plaza Hotel. You wore a shawl lapel suit with a white suit jacket," she said.