V

Dedicated to ftasnia

"If you build the guts to do something, anything, then you better save enough to face the consequences."

-Criss Jami

___________________

Hailey

The blanket of darkness caressed my skin; it sang me songs of silence, of broken dreams. My soul felt hollow as if it was devoid of any life. It was the type of hollowness that killed you, with each passing day like a deadly disease that spreads in your body.

The muscles in my body were sore; I had fallen asleep in the bathroom. My knuckles pained, although the blood had dried yet, they needed to be cleaned. I took the first aid box from the bedside drawer and took out the antiseptic to clean my knuckle. My skin sizzled as the antiseptic made contact with my bruised skin.

The pain eased within seconds, although the pain in my heart grew as the dawn approached. A sudden urge to cry overtook me; what came out was nothing but a trail of invisible tears that only I could wipe. My eyes hurt, my soul hurt, everything hurt.

Miranda Kings', the Mafia Queen sold me, for fucking thirty million dollars to Ralph Hernandez. How can she do that? I'm a human being, and she sold me. What am I supposed to do? Cry? Give up? Accept Ralph Hernandez?

"Jesus Christ! Please! Help me. Please!"

I wished dad had never died in that accident. If he were alive, he would never let Miranda, my so-called mother, sell me off for money. Life was strange, even stranger fate that brought twist in your life.

We humans are nothing, just prisoners of fate. The fate that fastened shackles around our wrists before birth. The shackles of predetermined events, shackles of fear, shackles of helplessness that accompany us till death. It took my dad away from me then, forced me to live with that heartless creature, my mother.

I could not breathe; the oxygen in the air did nothing to soothe the suffocation. My mind screamed for a whiff of fresh air. I went towards the window, slid the frail net curtains. The world was asleep, lost in a lucid dream. Cold breezes fondled my hair; mysterious darkness engulfed the sky. My life was just like this night, dark and cold.

My eyes darted towards the picture hung on the wall beside the window. It was a picture of me with dad; he had picked me up in his arms, he smiled coyly for the camera. I remembered that day; it was etched in my memory forever.

"Munchkin, Life is an unforeseeable escapade," he said, "never give up to circumstances, fight for yourself, no matter what."

"Fight for yourself, no matter what," I repeated. Even though dad was not there with me, but his memories will stay forever; he will always guide me like they guided me today.