XI

Dedicated to EscritoraMia

"I am smiling even though I'm crying beneath.

Shards of my heart are piercing my soul,

His touch boils my blood

His fire is burning my sanity,

I will break one day or another

I am smiling even though I'm crying beneath."

By: Valerie Greyson
____________________

Hailey

Last night was as long as a year. It was a blur of anxiety and nervousness. Sleep tried to engulf me in its warm blanket, but I pushed it aside. I felt as if I had to fool the highest security agency in the world. A single wrong move could destroy my hope. I kept on motivating myself and left no stone unturned to perfect my fake smile.

I observed my reflection in the full-length mirror of the dresser. In a long time, I had not taken care of myself. My skin looked paler than before. The glow of young skin had left my flesh. Prominent dark circles covered my eyes, and the blue of my eyes had lost its brightness. I took in deep breaths and gave myself the treat of a short meditation.

A loud thud interrupted my tranquil moment. I opened my eyes and looked back. Ralph was picking cartons from the floor.

"Ralph!" I exclaimed, trying to sound surprised.

He got up from the floor and kept the stack of cartons on the bed. "I brought you a dress and jewelry," he said and winked at me.

I flashed my perfect fake smile that resembled the smile of Hollywood stars at the red carpet. Ralph returned my gesture with his signature dimpled smile.

Goal one accomplished an inch closer in gaining his trust.

He ran a hand through his sunshine hair. "I bought everything myself it took me a long while to find the dress; hope you like it."

"That's sweet of you. I know you have good taste." I complimented, using some of my mother's pet lines.

She always had a way to get into a man's heart. She usually makes them believe that she loved them and then pierced their hearts. All the money that she earned after dad's death came from blackmailing top politicians and other Mafia leaders.

"Get ready yourself. I can't-"

I cut him off. "You can't trust me, right?"

He nodded, rolling his eyes.

"You can put trackers on me like my dear mother." I mocked sarcastically.

"Stop it! I know Miranda hurt you," he said and walked towards me.

"Get ready. The engagement will be in an hour. Only closer members from the Hernandez Mafia will be there," he said and left the room.

Ralph Hernandez was not a fool; gaining his trust would be tough. I took in a deep breath and went inside the bathroom to get fresh. I am Hailey Kings, Mafia Queen's daughter; beauty runs in our not-so-traditional family. My mother had taught me everything about beauty. Perhaps she planned to sell me for a long time.