XX

"He wanted to leave the past a few hundred miles down the road, shake it off like dust

"He wanted to leave the past a few hundred miles down the road, shake it off like dust. But that was the problem with the past. It kept finding him."

- Suzanne Woods Fisher, The Keeper

________________________
Ace

Empty. I felt empty. The truth finally came out of my mouth. The world stopped. Every second seemed like an eon. I could feel my rapid heartbeats. I should have never brought her here.

She will hate me. But it's a good thing, isn't it? I deserve to be hated.

"Dominic killed your mother, and yet, you work for him. Why?" She stared at my eyes.

"I hate Dominic with every fiber of my being. If I could, I would have killed him years ago."

"Then, why didn't you?"

"I promised my mother that I would do everything that my father, Dominic, says. It was her last wish."

Silence, dead silence spread in the room. Her face was grave, yet, her features had turned soft. Her blue pupils burned like living blue flame.

She took in a deep breath. "I hate your mom."

"Don't dare to say a word about her," I snapped.

"Yell at me, or throw me out in the rain I don't give a damn. Your mother took a promise that made your life a living hell. I saw that picture on the wall and can't believe that's you. I rarely see you smile. You hurt yourself and act as if it's nothing," she said, wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"I don't have an option." I pushed her hand away.

"How long can you keep a promise that kills you from within?"

Her words rang in my head. I got on my feet and strode outside the house, shutting the door behind.

The sky wept, accompanying my solitary tears

The sky wept, accompanying my solitary tears. Icy winds caressed my wet skin. Darkness sat by my side; it sang me songs of death and hell. I would have died by now had my lungs not remembered to breathe.