IV

Dedicated to spacegirl29

"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."

- Lemone Snicket.

__________________

Hailey

The wind embraced my skin like the lover's passionate kiss, stirring a mixture of emotions within my heart. It sang me songs of old memories, teleporting me in the good times. The times when life was good, the times when Dad was there, the times when my world was perfect. I wished that The Time Machine was a real thing as it would let me escape from this Mafia world back to my childhood.

The night sky was black as a raven; thick dark clouds hid the moon. There was no sign of stars or light; just the passionate wind banged the door. Trees swung like a pendulum back and forth. An unfathomable storm brewed, and the wind announced its arrival. I felt as if the storm was trying to convey a secret message to me like it did to the sailors of a hard journey and approaching death. Perhaps I was just overthinking, and it was nothing, just a storm that will pass into nothingness in the morning.

"Ma'am, the guests have arrived, they're expecting you downstairs," Maggie, my maid said.

I turned back and noticed the pale color of Maggie's face. "Are you alright?"

"Absolutely," she answered. She had bowed down her head. She usually made this gesture when she was hiding something from me. I've known her for a long time, and she was terrible at hiding emotions.

"What is bothering you?" I asked.

She did not answer my question and sprinted downstairs. I knew something was wrong, perhaps the unknown guests from the other Mafia were the reason.

 I knew something was wrong, perhaps the unknown guests from the other Mafia were the reason

The Baroque style was the central theme of the Kings' dining hall. A crystal chandelier was the focal point of attraction of the dining hall. It had a traditional design and was perfect to show off the Mafia Queens blood money. We had used wall panels to decorate the walls; ornamentation was done on chair heads by scrolls and foliage. It featured a stunning round dining table centered under the crystal chandelier.