XV

Hailey

Hailey

Ace sat at the driver's seat as quiet as a stone. He didn't even glance in my direction. My eyelids felt heavy; my neck ached. Mr. Reckless didn't want to rent rooms in an inn.

We have been traveling for the past two days and stopped only to buy food or use the restroom. Ace didn't want to risk after that car chase.

I stretched my arms and asked, "Don't you ever sleep?"

He drove continuously and only had small naps when he stopped the car during the midnight. Usually, he wrapped a rope around my wrist and attached it with his own, taking no chances.

He sighed. "I can sleep, and we both can depart to hell together."

I rolled my eyes. "You know what, you look much better when you don't speak."

"Then, keep your mouth shut and stop asking me questions."

Why can't he talk like normal human beings?

He pulled over and parked the car in between bushes and got out of the car. He stood a foot away from me. The phone on his ear as he talked to gods knew whom. After five minutes, he came back and started driving without telling me anything.

I wanted to ask him about the call, but kept my mouth shut.

"I have news," Ace said.

"What news?" I asked, my eyes focused on his face.

"Ralph is out of danger but he fractured his left arm, and he got a bullet wound on his shoulder," Ace said casually as if the injuries were just scratches.

A shiver ran down my marrow as I swallowed the news.

"The people who attacked Ralph are the ones who chased us?"

Ace sighed. "Possibly. But I am sure they have nothing to do with you. You are at their target because Ralph claimed to love you."

"What? That makes little sense."

"It does. Ralph is the heir of the Hernandez Mafia. Other Mafia leaders want to kill him and take over. Your engagement with him makes you a negotiable tool."

"What? They will get nothing by capturing me."

"You are an idiot." Ace laughed.

"Ralph is a psychopath. He can go to any extent to get you back. Even if it means burning every member of the Cosa Nostra," Ace said, taking in a long breath.

"You are right. That's why he killed Laura."

"What do you know about Laura?" Ace asked,

"Ralph killed Laura, that's the only thing that I know, but he confessed that he loved her and never wanted to kill her," I said. The memories of the day when mother sold me replayed in my mind.

A nod was Ace's reply.

He looked tired. His ruggedly, handsome face looked pale. Those silver-gray eyes were half shut. I wondered how this man was even functioning. He had barely slept for four hours or even less for the past two days.

I wanted him to rent a room at an inn no matter even if it was a cheap one. My sore muscles wanted rest, and Ace needed sleep. Even though he never admitted.

"Ace! The sky is getting dark. Please rent a room for tonight. Please," I said, hoping he would agree with me for once.

"No."

"Please, my muscles are crying for a bed. I want to sleep on a bed, not in the car," I lied.

I wanted Ace to sleep, even if it was for a night. Although he was rude and kept to himself yet, he saved my life. And he needed sleep, or he would cause an accident. One night's sleep would be a gift for him.

"Anything else, your highness? May I buy you a Cinderella dress?" He mocked.

"Shut up. I already want to shred this fucking gown to shreds," I said, holding the sleeve of the toga gown.

"Fine. You can take a bath. You smell awful," he answered and grinned.

"You smell worse than me."

He let out a small laugh and drove quietly.

At last, he agreed to rent a place. I didn't care if it was small or big. Warm or cold. Old or new. I just wanted to get fresh and change. And sleep with my legs stretched.

We stood in front of a small hotel named "Knights Inn

We stood in front of a small hotel named "Knights Inn." Ace had already parked the car and, now, he stood beside me. He had folded his muscled arms over his broad chest. The hotel looked old. The board with the name was ancient and needed renovation.

"Listen to me carefully," Ace said, his voice sending butterflies in my stomach.

I turned towards him and asked, "Listen, what?"

"Stay close to me. Don't talk unnecessarily." He slung the bag with our clothes and supplies on his shoulders.

I nodded. "What if somebody asks about our relationship?"

"Money will keep their mouth shut."

"Do you really think we should use the money to keep others mouth shut? What if someone comes to search for us?" I said, passing him a fake smile.

He took in a deep breath. "Then, tell them I am your friend."

"Leave it to me. I will think of something. Just play along."

"As you wish, your highness," he said, leading the way to the inn.

We got inside, and we waited at the small desk they called reception. A slender woman with feminine curves came to the desk. Her curly hair was dark like a starless night.

She scanned Ace from head to toe. Her hazel eyes lingered for a long minute on his face. Then, she gazed at his sensuous lips.

"We need a room for two people. Give the best that you have," Ace said, taking out money from his pocket.

She smiled at him. Ace responded with a bored expression.

Ace gave the money she asked and said, "Send food."

She nodded and asked, "Who is that beside you?" She pointed her finger at me.

"I am his wife. We eloped and got married last week," I answered instead of Ace.

The receptionist's eyes went wide as she handed the room keys to Ace.

Although Mr. Reckless kept a neutral expression on his face hiding the shock yet, his eyes said, "I-Will-Kill-You-My-Dear-Fake-Wife"

A/N: Hope you enjoyed reading. Don't forget to vote and comment. This is an unedited chapter.

Ailey moments in the next chapter.