XVIII

"Dead danced in my eyes, and then, he came to save me amidst the storm

"Dead danced in my eyes, and then, he came to save me amidst the storm."

_____________________

Hailey

I stretched my arms and legs like a lazy cat. The sunshine stroked my face with invisible fingers. I turned my attention towards the couch, but Ace was gone. With half-shut eyes, I walked towards the bathroom.

I rotated the knob, but somebody had locked it from inside. Probably Ace was inside. I was about to turn back, but the bathroom door swung ajar.

Water dripped from Ace's wet hazel brown hair. His hair looked like molten caramel. He held a towel in his hand. The black sweatshirt highlighted his silver-gray eyes.

He arched his brow and asked, "Done staring?"

My body heated. "Why would I stare at you? You aren't that handsome."

Ace bent a little. His lips were inches away from my ears.

"Your face is red like a tomato," he whispered in his honeyed sexy voice. His voice sent chills of adventure down my spine.

I could bet that my face was more redder now. What is this guy doing to me?

"Get out. I want to use the bathroom," I said, trying to get out of this weird situation.

"What if I don't, your highness?" He smirked.

"Stop playing with me. Go and find someone else. That receptionist is a pretty good option."

He arched his brow, swiftly pulling me closer to himself. The bridges of our noses touched. His sensuous lips inches away from mine. My heart fluttered inside my chest like that of a high school girl who had met her crush.

"Why would I play with the receptionist when I have a beautiful wife?" Ace whispered like the cold summer breeze.

"Not wife. Fake wife."

"You started this game, but we play by my rules now." He moved away, taking every ounce of warmth with himself.

I sprinted inside the bathroom and locked the door with a thud. A long breath escaped from my mouth. His honeyed sexy voice echoed in my ear. The closeness of our noses. The curve of his lips.

"Jesus Christ! He will drive me mad," I said to myself. I turned to look at my face in the mirror, and it was indeed red, exactly like he had said.

I sat on the bed, waiting for Ace. He had left minutes ago to get us breakfast. This inn didn't provide early morning breakfast. We both were dying for hunger, and that hunger had made Ace obey to buy food from nearby stores.

"Ma'am, please open the door." the familiar voice of the receptionist entered my ear.

"Do not open the door for anybody except me. Do not trust anybody except me."

Ace had instructed me before he had left. I ignored the receptionist.

"Ma'am, the day you booked the room, I forgot to give you a ten percent discount," she said.

"No problem. Once my husband comes back, he'll take the money from you," I answered.

She did not respond. Weird.

Ten minutes passed, and the door opened slightly.

"Ace!"

Why was he not getting inside?

Two men wearing black suits entered the room. Their faces looked like stone. Expressionless. One of them held a gun in his hand.

Fear crept in every inch of my body. How did these guys know that Ace was gone? Jesus Christ! I told that receptionist about everything. The guy with the gun walked towards me.

I sprinted towards the bathroom, but the other guy blocked my way. Two muscled men against one untrained girl. No chance of escape.

"Don't try to move. Cooperate, and you live or resist, and we take your corpse with us.

"Don't you dare touch me" I yelled, almost blowing my vocal-chords in the process.

I hoped somebody would come, or at least Ace knew that I went down fighting.

The man pointed the gun at my head. I whacked my elbow in his ribs. The guy grabbed my waist. I pushed him away, kicking with my legs.

"Take my corpse. I am not cooperating."

Somebody grabbed my arm and twisted it. Pain spread in my arm like oil in the sea.

"Ah!" I cried. My arm ached, but I pushed myself. The guy's hold was stronger. His nails dug in my arm. Warm tear rained down my eye.

"You forced me to do this bitch."

"Be gentle. Let's have some fun," the other guy said, his voice crammed with lust.

He walked towards me and touched my body with greed. I kicked; he laughed. He came closer to my neck.

"Do not let this fucking bastard near you."

"You should have cooper-"

I bit his ear with pull force. He cried in agony, covering his ear with his hand.

"Bloody bitch." The other guy released me, and a calloused hand met with my face. My knees wobbled; he pushed me hard. My knees slammed against the cold floor. A crackling sound echoed.

Both of the men encircled me. Fear of death crawled inside my bones. My heart slammed against my chest. Fear froze my legs.

The guy brought his hand towards my face. I could not move. My body betrayed me. My senses forgot to function.

Both the men smiled viciously like a snake ready to pounce over their prey. The man's hand stopped midair. Blood thick as the wine splattered across my face as the man's body hit the floor.

"Motherfucker! Get away from her," Ace snarled like a lion. He clenched his jaw. He held a gun in his hands. The softness had vanished from his face. Blood covered his ruggedly handsome face.

The other man pushed the gun in my forehead. Sweat ran down my neck, and it traveled through my shirt.

"Leave her," Ace warned. The voice was not his own. It belonged to the man trained to kill.

"Get out, or I will sh-"

The bullet from Ace's gun pierced straight through the man's skull. His lifeless body joined the other body on the ground.

Ace sprinted towards me. Blood dripped down his knuckles, an endless river of red.

"I should have never left," he said, regret pure regret filled his mesmerizing eyes.

"The fault was mine." I threw my arms around his neck. His strong arms embraced my back. I buried my head in his neck. The stench of coppery blood hit my nostrils along with his scent.

"We are leaving this place," he whispered.

I released his neck. He picked the supply bag and scooped me in his arms. I could have walked but did not object.

For the first time in my life, I felt safe.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed reading. Don't forget to vote ;)

The relationship between Hailey and Ace is getting deep.

I'm excited. And you?