XVI

"Sometimes past traumas affect us more than what we admit

"Sometimes past traumas affect us more than what we admit."

________________________

Hailey

Ace clutched my arm and dragged me to the room. He didn't say a single
word. His face was like a blank canvas. Either he was angry or didn't mind the fake story that I told the receptionist. But he had played along.

We got into the room, and Ace shut the door behind us. It was very congested. It contained a small bed smaller than the king-sized bed of Ralph's mansion. Dim lighting illuminated the interior. A shabby couch was another piece of furniture.

I walked towards the window, and then, Ace pulled me towards himself. He had a stone-cold expression on his face. His silver-gray eyes focused on my face. His warm breaths produced a tingling sensation on my skin.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You told that receptionist that we're a married couple," Ace snarled, anger flared in his eyes.

"Yes, why the hell do you mind that?" I asked, glaring in his mesmerizing eyes.

"Have you lost your mind? You are fucking Ralph's fiancée."

"Listen, Ace, that receptionist was ogling you, and those men in the corridor looked at me with lust. Telling her that we are married provides me security," I said, unwrapping Ace's fingers from my arm.

"I am with you. Nobody can look at you that way. If they do, my fist will answer them."

I sighed. "I know you can beat those people into pulp, but that will only raise suspicion. I want peace."

Ace started walking towards me. I walked backward, trying to avoid him. My back touched the room's wall. I was about to walk to the left, but Ace blocked my way with his arm. His muscled arms acted like a makeshift cage.

"Your highness, I don't give a damn to what you think. If I ever saw a man look at you with bad intentions; then, my fist will collide with his face. I don't fucking care if that raises suspicion or not," Ace said, staring straight in my eyes.

The sound of knuckles colliding against the door filled the air. Ace pulled away and went towards the door. I inhaled a long, long breath. My body had heated up. Ace's words echoed in my ears. The way he made direct eye contact with me made me feel weird.

I felt as if every word that came out of his sensuous lips was the truth. I looked up, and Ace held a tray of food in his hands.

"Why would you hit a person if they look at me with bad intentions?" I asked, unable to shut my mouth.

He placed the food tray on the table. "Because a woman is responsible for my existence. And she taught me to respect and fight for them."

His words pierced straight through my heart like cupid's arrow of love.

"You are talking about your mother, right?"

He nodded, running a hand through his hazel-brown hair.

"She taught you well. I wish I could meet her."

"She is dead," he said in a grave tone and silently arranged the food on the table.

We ate our meal in silence. The only thing that I noticed was the sadness that lurked in Ace's eyes. I knew he loved her and still did.

"You sleep on the bed. I will take the couch," Ace said, putting the fork in his empty plate.

"Fine," I said, walking towards the bathroom to get fresh.

I entered the bathroom and took a quick shower. The touch of water against my dirty skin teleported me to heaven. Taking a bath after three days of travel felt like a luxury. I changed into one of the clean shirt dress from our backpack and got out.

Ace lay on the couch. The couch barely held his tall height and masculine figure. He had shut his eyes. The exhaustion had struck him, forcing him to sleep. Walking, stealthy like a cat; I climbed on the bed and closed my eyes to welcome sleep.

"No! Mom! Please," cried a familiar voice

I jolted awake. The voice was Ace's. It was filled with pain and anxiousness. I walked towards the couch to check on Ace. Sweat drenched his face. He was still sleeping; probably, a nightmare had struck him.

"Mom! Please," he said continuously.

I sat near the couch and whispered, "I am here, Ace."

I held his hand to offer comfort. He was going through a rough nightmare. He kept on saying mom, please again and again.

Somehow his hands found me, and he pulled in a tight embrace.

"Mom, please. You can't die." He held me tightly as if I would disappear.

"Ace, everything is fine. I'm not going anywhere," I said, rubbing his back.

I could hear the uneven beats of his heart. Sweat soaked his linen shirt. His hands shook. The ruggedly handsome face had paled like the skin of a porcelain doll.

Suddenly Ace pulled me away. His eyes were wide open. He exhaled and inhaled rapidly.

"What did I do?" He asked, his voice hoarse.

"Nothing." I said, trying to calm him down.

"What did you hear?"

"You said, 'Mom, please. Don't die'."

Ace stared at me in disbelief. I tried to hold his hand to give him comfort, but he pulled away.

He got on his feet and stomped towards the door.

"Ace!"

He did not respond and shut the door on my face. I was speechless. What was wrong with him? What nightmare was he going through? What the heck happened with his mother? Questions overflowed in my mind.

I sat on the couch and tried to process everything. Ace left the room without telling me anything. He was in a bad psychological state. I was worried for him.

"Jesus Christ, keep him safe." I prayed and waited for Ace to return safe and sound.

A/N: Hope enjoyed reading. Don't forget to vote and comment.

Ace's mother's death still haunts him. What do you feel for him.

I'm going to update fast the upcoming weeks. Twice or thrice a week.

Next chapter os Ace's POV