XXVII

Dedicated to all the readers who stayed till the end

Ace

We have been running for weeks without rest, never stopping at a place longer than three-four hours. I was exhausted, and my body was barely functioning. I slept for five hours in two days. I was keeping watch all night, ready to kill if necessary.

Hailey was sleeping on my chest. I could feel her warm, even breaths. She looked like a living, walking fantasy like the sleeping beauty. I was worried about her safety; my life didn't matter if I failed to save her.

We had rented a room into the cheap inn. I did not risk using the credit or the debit card. We were running low on cash, and I had turned into a petty pickpocket thief. Survival and necessity made you do weird things.

The sounds of footsteps cracking against the ancient wooden flooring startled me. I didn't dare to utter a single word. I could hear the slamming of my heart against the cage of ribs. My breathing was shallow and rapid.

First time in my life, I was scared, not for myself, for us. My relationship with Hailey was precious.

"Hailey, get up," I whispered in her ear and pushed her gently.

She looked at me with her cerulean-blue eyes. "Are we leaving?" She asked.

"Somebody is coming towards our room."

I picked the sharp knife from the nightstand. "Stay behind me, and attack if necessary."

She nodded.

The footsteps were nearing with each passing second. Adrenaline coursed through my veins like electricity. Warm droplets of sweat trickled down the nape of my neck. I clutched the knife and walked towards the door. I was as alert as a lion.

The footsteps stopped. Somebody was inserting a key into the lock. The door opened ajar, and a tall man peeked inside. I could see the shadow of another man behind him. "We are here to take the girl. No harm will be done to you," he said in a grave tone. I understood that tone well. He wanted to complete his task without bloodshed, but he had failed to notice the knife that I held behind my back.

"Take her," I lied.

"Good choice. You would have died otherwise." The room was as dark as a raven's wing. The only source of light was sapphire moonlight that gleamed through the shattered window. He walked into the room. He stepped towards the bed where Hailey sat.

I moved faster than light and sliced his throat with the knife. "Yo-" His body collided with the wooden flooring. I could smell the fresh ferrous blood in the air. It coated the room like the smell of stale fish.

"Boss!"

"Boss!"

The idiot was unaware that his boss was dead. I had the advantage of darkness, and I grew up in darkness. I embraced it. It was my friend in the lonely days.