XIV

Dedicated to susjoyfully

"Run, run, run, baby run."

______________________

Hailey

Ace drove the car at lightning speed. He clenched the steering wheel, his eyes focused. Three black BMW'S chased behind us. Ace took a sharp turn, almost crushing a few pedestrians.

"Hold your breath," he shouted and raced the car.

My heart thumped against my rib cage. Sweat trickled down Ace's forehead forming lines of liquid. The air was tense, filled with fear, adrenaline, and sweat. Moments ago, we reached that safe house, and now, stranger cars chased us.

The car ripped through the air. I fell back. Bullets rained on the car. A bullet pierced through the glass.

The car vibrated. Ace's grip tightened as he turned the car through a sharp turn.

The car tires screeched. Ace tried his best to control the steering wheel. My face slammed into the car window. The cars chased after us.

"Jesus Christ!" I yelled.

The BMW'S collided with each other. Screams, yells filled the air. Ace clenched his jaw and accelerated through the traffic. Sweat covered his knuckles; his jaw clenched; eyes determined. The skin around his knuckles had gone white. He had clenched that steering wheel tightly.

I didn't dare to look behind. Our car could have collided at that fierce turn. Ace slowed the car as we blended into the traffic. I let out a deep breath, realizing the fact that I was holding my breath.

I wonder whether Ace's reckless driving was the gift or curse. That man didn't let me breathe during that hell of a car chase. But I had to admit the fact that it was his driving that saved our life.

My eyes darted towards Ace. He took in deep breaths. He had relaxed his shoulders.

The phone rang. I put it on speaker before Mr. Reckless could bark at me.

"Ace! What happened? Answer me," Dominic shouted from the other side of the phone.

"We almost died. What else do you want to know?"

"Nothing. Keep the girl safe. She's important to Ralph. If she dies then, I won't leave you alive," Dominic barked.

Ace did not answer. He had focused his silver-gray eyes on the road.

"Where are you going to hide? I doubt that the attackers have locations to other safe houses."

"We'll not hide. The best option is to travel on wheels. I've enough cash to sustain us for a week. Rest, I'll think and inform you," Ace answered in his honeyed sexy voice.

"That's logical. Change the car from the usual place. I'll arrange clothes and essentials," Dominic said, hanging the phone up.

Ace let out a deep sigh, and we drove in complete silence.

Dead silence filled the car

Dead silence filled the car. I could hear my breathing. Mr. Reckless was driving quietly. He pulled over in front of a car dealer's shop.

A wooden board with rough graffiti greeted us. The shop looked ancient as if nobody ever visited it. Ace drove through the driveway and parked the poor car at the corner.

"Give me the phone," he said in his honeyed sexy voice. He looked rather calm as if the car chase had never happened.

"Danny, arrange the vehicle," he ordered, getting out of the car.

A man with gangly limbs waved in his direction.

"Danny! Where is the vehicle?" Ace shouted.

The man walked towards him. They conversed in whispers. I tried to eavesdrop but could hear nothing. The man disappeared inside the ancient shop.

What is he doing?

Ace opened the car door on my side and said, "Get out."

I got out and tried to balance myself on both my feet. A sharp pain spread through my sprained ankle.

"Ah!" I was about to fall, but a masculine arm grabbed my waist.

Ace pulled me up, supporting my waist with his masculine arm. My eyes met with his silver-gray eyes. I stared at him. He looked ruggedly handsome. My nose was inches away from his. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Hold the car instead of me," he whispered in my ear. His honeyed sexy voice sends sparks down my marrow. I could feel his warm breaths on my neck. The whisper was a symphony that made my knees weak.

Jesus Christ! What is he made up of?

"The car is ready with supplies," said a hoarse voice.

I let go of Ace's neck and hold the car for support. He removed his grip from my waist and turned in the voice's direction.

The man with gangly limbs stood in front of us. He tossed car keys towards Ace. Ace caught them and passed an icy glare to the man.

"Which one?" he asked, twirling the car keys in his fingers.

"The sharp white one," the gangly limbs said, moving inside the ancient building.

Ace walked towards me, and as usual, picked me in his arms. I wanted to complain, but butterflies danced in my stomach. My heart raced.

Mr. Reckless, aka Ace, was a labyrinth. He was savage, rude yet, he didn't let me walk with that sprained ankle.

Maybe I will solve this labyrinth one day.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed reading. Don't forget to vote.

I was free today thought to give a surprise update. Hope you liked it.