X

Dedicated to: loveazaleas

"Choosing the path of deception was not my choice; it was the last hope of fighting for my life."

                     _________________

Hailey

The golden sunshine woke me up with the soft kiss of warmth. It scattered in the room, illuminating every corner. I wished this sunshine would light the dark cracks and spaces of my heart. Life is way more challenging when you have to deal with all the burden yourself.

Sometimes I just want to end this nonsense and kill myself. I could starve myself to death or cut my wrist with the glass from the photo frames. I could drown myself in the tub, and nobody would hear my scream. Time won't stop; the world would move on without me. Miranda kings' will shed alligator tears, and Ralph Hernandez will find somebody to satisfy his obsession.

Sometimes I wonder will they give me a funeral? Will somebody come to visit my grave on my death anniversary?

Negative thoughts overpowered my mind, crushing the little hope in my heart. The memories of my dad were the only thing that gave me hope to live, to fight for my freedom and life.

Is it worth taking my own life?

"Hailey! You are not weak. Remember, fight for yourself, no matter what."

My eyes darted towards the door; somebody was rotating the knob. It swung ajar, and Ralph Hernandez stepped inside the room. He had styled his pale blond hair in a messy spiky hairstyle. They reminded me of the early morning sunshine. I hated to admit the fact that Ralph was good-looking with a pair of glossy emerald-green eyes.

He passed me a small smile, the corner of his mouth curled. A dimple formed on his face, and for the first time in my life, I hated a dimple. A bruise had formed near his jaw, and a picture of Ace came to mind. The memory of last evening replayed in my mind. Ace flew towards Ralph, pinning him with the wall. Ralph's jaw met with a powerful punch, the sight of his scarlet blood.

"Angel! Where are you lost?" Ralph asked, snapping his fingers.

"Huh!"

What should I say to him? I can't run away from here without dying. What should I do?

"Angel! You are not dumb; talk to me."

I took in a deep breath and thought of the things that I could do. I can't run away from here, but Ralph could help me get out of this mansion. Winning his trust and making him believe that I love him could be my ticket to freedom.

I gathered my courage and said, "Ralph! Things are moving fast. I barely know you."

He sighed. "I know. What do you want?"

"Can we spend some time together and learn about each other?" I asked, taking in slow and long breaths.

"Okay."

Strange, Ralph agreed with me. I know something else was brewing in his mind.

"But We're getting engaged tomorrow, and that's final. We will shift the wedding date to March instead of January," he added.

Hailey! Say yes. If you play his bride then, you can win his trust. Earning trust is equal to hope to get out of this hell.

"Okay. I've no problem with the engagement, and I am sorry for attacking you with that knife."

A big smile spread on Ralph's face; the smile reminded of a little child that just got his favorite candy. He engulfed me in a warm embrace.

A wave of shock spread in my body; it was a weird sensation. Hugs feel good only when you like that person. I wanted to push him away yet controlled myself. I wanted to deceive him by playing his bride. A little patience and self-control would help me succeed. I felt Ralph's grip loosen, and he pulled away. He looked happy maybe I had got an inch closer to my goal.

"Your eyes are beautiful like the deep ocean or sea. Just like her."

"Her?" I questioned.

He played with the free locks of my hair. I felt as if he was trying to duck my question like a celebrity during an interview.

"I will see you tomorrow. Will sent your dress and everything," he said and left the room.

I wondered why he loved my eyes? The memories of the day when it all started replayed in my mind like a film projected on a blank screen.

"Your eyes remind me of her. You fucking remind me of her." His voice cracked, the gun fell from his hand. He wiped his face with the arm of his coat. His legs wobbled as he ran away from the dining hall.

That day at dinner, I didn't think much about the words he said, maybe because I was dealing with an emotional trauma myself.

Ralph Hernandez had various layers of secrets. The layers he tried to hide from the world. He wrapped himself in a transparent bubble away from the world. The Obsession that he had for me existed, for a reason, perhaps Laura's death affected him. I don't know the reason but it was none of my concern.

I am a human being; freedom is my right, and nobody can take it from me. I had followed my heart and now, was the time to follow the mind. The path of deception was the only hope that could get me out of this drama.

Deception will be my sword; winning Ralph Hernandez's trust is my target. In this game, without rules playing his bride was my military strategy.

"Jesus Christ! Let the sinless soul win."

A/N: Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote ;) I gave a piece of intial chapter hope you remembered it.

A twist in the tale, Do you like Hailey's new strategic approach?

Is Ralph really a bad guy or he hides secrets?