Chapter 5

It seemed to be a very normal day at work but then your department head called you.
You had to sacrifice your lunch break for that.

She was a nice lady, you really respected her work ethic, she was very professional. But for some reason, she treated you like her own child.

She said she never got time to get married and have kids because she was too involved in science, so she married science.

Somehow, you had a feeling this meeting was gonna be about your research proposal.

You were shit scared about it.. it was a huge deal, you had given almost two years of your life to this project. It had taken a lot of work, a lot of effort. So you were really hoping this would work out for you.

Although you suspected that you wouldn't work in (your country) for it. There weren't many people in your department here.. so most likely it'd be somewhere else.

The walk to her office seemed so long, by the time you reached, your heart was in your mouth.

"May I come in" you knocked at her door.

"Oh Dr. y/n" she adjusted her glasses, "come in come in"

"How's your day going Dr. Smith?" You asked her.

"I think it's gonna be better when I see that smile on your face" she said.

"I didn't get you" you said.

"Congratulations Dr. y/n.. it was approved" she beamed at you.

For once, you wondered if you heard her correctly. Then it seemed like the ground had suddenly vanished.
You were elated, the happiness was immeasurable. You couldn't remember the last time you felt this good. You had been waiting for this "yes" since forever. All your hard work had finally paid off and you felt so proud of yourself.

"I-I don't know what to say" you smiled through the tears.

"I'm so proud of you y/n" she said, immediately dropping the titles, the mother in her surfacing "the proposal was flawless, it had to be approved.. you had worked so hard for it.."

"Thank you so much Doctor" you said.

"I still remember the days you would stay in the lab till late, running tests" she smiled.

"I'm so happy this is happening" you said.

"Me too y/n.. you'll be leading a team of 10 scientists" she said.

"Whoa, really?" You gasped, "I mean, that's amazing"

"Yes, it really is amazing." She said, "but there's something else"

"It's not here" you said.

She nodded, "we had a two options to choose from, but there was just one place where the team of scientists was the most qualified. So I asked your colleagues what place you'd be comfortable in, out of the two. One of them told me how you really like travelling to one of those places, and how your social media is full of pictures from that place. So I thought you'd be more comfortable there.. since you'd have to practically shift your entire life there for I don't even know how long.. and thankfully it's the same place where the scientists are elite" she said.

You had stopped listening to her midway.. 'Social media full of pictures from that place'.. you knew what place she was talking about..

"So yeah, you'd be going to Seoul for continuing your research" she smiled, then she saw your face and frowned, "aren't you happy?"