𝐭𝐞𝐧; 𝐞

𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐘𝐎𝐔

ethan's pov
i was seated on my bathroom floor with an almost empty vodka bottle in my hand, the light of the bathroom reflecting off of it and making it more beautiful than it really is. what a fantastic thanksgivings this has been. i sit there staring at the door thinking before i had a stupid idea.

i pulled out my phone and went to her contact. clicking on the message button i see our old messages, the last being "i love you" from her. tears brimmed my eyes as i stared at it.

"i love you too" i sniffles and wiped the tears that had fallen. i began typing thinking nothing would come out of this as she said she blocked my number when we broke up. it's worth a shot though.

my fingers took control before my brain could and i began typing. i typed my paragraph and clicked send, crying as i reread multiple times.

ethan: dreams. that's where i have to go to see your beautiful face anymore. i stare at a picture of you and listen to the radio. hope there's a conversation, we both admit we had it good. until then there's alienation i know, that much is understood. and i realise. if you ask me how i'm doing, i would say i'm doing just fine. i would lie and say that you're not on my mind. but i go out and i sit down at a table set for two, and finally i'm forced to face the truth. no matter what i say i'm not over you.
~
read 10:47 pm

i don't know what surprised me more. the fact that i had the balls to send that or the fact that she read it when she told me she blocked my number.

i saw the three dots appear and i sat up straight in anticipation, waiting to hear what she had to say. the dots disappeared and reappeared multiple times before a message finally sent.

nai: i feel the same way ethan.

a smile formed on my face as tears rolled down my face. my love. she feels the same way i do.

ethan: then why did you end it? why did you end us?

nai: ethan i told you. it wouldn't work with me going across the country for college. as much i love you, it would hurt to much.

ethan: but we could've tried. you didn't even give us a chance.

nai: ethan do you know how hard it would be to not have you there everyday especially the days i need you? do you know how hard it would be to know there's a certain amount of time until we can see each other and that certain amount of time would be far too long? do you know how hard it would be to say goodbye when we do get to see each other? it's way too hard for us to do.

ethan: nai you don't understand. it hurts more not having you here because we're not together anymore than it ever would to not have you here while we're still together. i dont care how hard it would be to not see each other and how hard it would be to say goodbye when we do. i would go through all of that any day as long as my love is still mine. please nai.

nai: this is something we need to talk about in person, not over text.

ethan: did you forget you're across the country? who knows when you're coming home. we can talk about this now.

nai: well if you don't open your bathroom door i might just walk away and forget this ever happened.

my eyebrows furrowed together as my head shot up towards the door. i jumped up off the floor and quickly opened the door to see her eyes locked with mine.

"nai." i said quietly hoping at this was all real and i wasn't imagining it.

"ethan." she replied back placing her hand on my bicep. now i know it's real. i feel it.

"what are you doing here?" i gave her a confused look. not that i wasn't happy she was here.

"you didn't think i would miss thanksgiving did you?" she half smiled as she let out a small laugh. she cleared her throat as she held eye contact with me.

"we need to talk."

*song: not over you by gavin degraw*