Chapter 23

Anna's eyes fluttered open as fingers ran through her hair. She rubbed her aching neck as she straightened. Rhys was beside her smirking. Embarrassment washed over her when she realized that she was sleeping on his shoulder.

It was dark outside, and the car was lit up with the bright lights of the gas station. They were the only ones in the car.

"I'm sorry," Anna said.

"For what?" Rhys asked.

"For falling asleep on you," she said. "I didn't realize how tired I was."

"It's alright. You needed to rest."

Anna unbuckled the seatbelt and climbed out of the car. Drew was pumping gas into the car, and Huxley and Calvin were inside. Anna looked around to see that after countless hours of driving, the scenery looked the same. Anna silently cursed herself that Canada was such a large country.

"I want to drive," Anna said.

"Not happening," Rhys said.

"Give her a shot," Drew said. "It's a highway. She cannot screw up going straight."

"Thanks for the confidence, guys," she said.

"Fine," Rhys said. "Just for a few hours."

Anna smiled. Drew tossed her the keys and she caught them in the air. Calvin and Huxley came out of the store with a couple of bags in their hands. Anna climbed into the driver's seat. She ran her hand along with the leather of the steering wheel.

"Woah, what's this?" Calvin asked as he got into the backseat.

Rhys opened the door to the passenger's side and stepped in.

"Anna is going to drive for a little bit," Rhys said as he buckled his seatbelt. "You three need to sleep."

"So now you're in charge of our bedtimes too?" Calvin asked sarcastically.

Rhys turned and glared at him. Calvin snickered and leaned against the door. Huxley sighed when he saw that he was going to have to sit in the middle again.

Anna turned the key in the ignition and the car revved up. She had not been behind the wheel of a car since she came back to British Columbia from P.E.I. She lived down the block from her campus so she did not see the reason to own a car. She reached under the seat and adjusted it so that she could comfortably reach the pedals.

Rhys's eyes were locked on her as she pulled out of the gas station. She merged onto the highway as Rhys kept his scrutinizing gaze on her. Anna looked over at him a few times to watch him watching her.

"I'm not going to crash your car," Anna said.

"I don't know that," Rhys said.

"I know you've been driving since there were horses and buggies, but I am perfectly capable of driving a car."

Huxley laughed. "You know she's right."

Rhys shook his head. He ran his fingers through his dark hair before resting his elbow on the window.

"I just want to get there as soon as possible," Rhys said. "You are driving like you are the oldest one in the car."

Anna glanced down at the speedometer and raised an eyebrow.

"I'm going the speed limit," she said.

"You need to get over to the left lane and go about twenty kilometers faster," Rhys said.

"Fine," she said.

Anna flicked on the blinker and merged lanes. She pressed her foot further down on the pedal and sped up. She looked over at Rhys for approval and he nodded. Anna kept a tight grip on the wheel as driving this fast seemed foreign to her. She wanted to change the radio station to something she would rather listen to, but she was afraid to let go of the wheel.