Chapter 17

Anna fiddled with the knobs on the dashboard until she felt a rush of warm air hit her face. The nights in the Yukon were frigid and Anna felt the cold seep into her bones. Rhys was driving on the bumpy dirt roads. Calvin was driving the other car close behind them.

Rhys had shoved Anna in the car without saying anything to her. He had spent over an hour in Oz's office with Drew. He did not mention anything about their meeting.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"We're going out hunting," he said.

Anna's stomach twisted. There were light cramps in her stomach as she had been growing hungry, but she tried to ignore it. She knew that she was going to have to feed soon before she was overtaken by pain.

"There's a bar outside of town," he said. "It's full of hunters."

"You're going to attack a bar full of vampire hunters?" Anna asked.

"We're hungry, not stupid," he said. "It's a bar full of werewolf hunters."

"That's a thing?"

Rhys looked over at Anna. The corner of his lip twitched into a smirk.

"People in this world don't like what they can't understand," he said. "Every paranormal creature has someone trying to destroy them."

Anna nodded. She had spent her life learning how to kill vampires. She was told that vampires were evil because they murdered innocent people. She was now one of those murderers, but she knew that she had to do it. She would have killed herself if her soul was not going to go to hell.

"We're doing Oz a favour," Rhys said. "It's a way to pay them back for crashing at their place for a week. We benefit from it too."

He put his hand on her knee, and Anna did not feel the compulsion to push him off of her.

"Drew and I will go through the front," he said. "I want you to wait out back with Huxley and Calvin."

Anna nodded. If she could avoid seeing people be murdered she would do it. She had grown used to watching vampires be staked, but she had yet grown used to watching humans scream for their lives.

"No crying either," Rhys said. "I don't need you getting emotional."

"What are you talking about?" Anna asked.

"You were crying after your first kill," he said. "I don't need you doing that again."

"You made me kill a friend. Anyone would be emotional."

Rhys rolled his eyes. He kept his hand on Anna's leg until he pulled into the parking lot of a small bar. Calvin pulled his car up next to Rhys's. Anna zipped up her leather jacket before stepping out of the car.

"Hux, bring Anna out back," Rhys said. "Calvin, you go with them."

"I don't get to have any fun?" Calvin asked.

"You're going to attack from the back."

Calvin nodded. Huxley gave Rhys a salute before waving his arm to motion for Anna to follow him. Her footsteps crunched as she followed them around to the back.

Drew stretched his arms up over his head before cracking his knuckles. Rhys stuffed his hands into the pocket of his jacket.

"You ready?" Drew asked.

"I'm always ready," Rhys said. "Let's go."

Drew followed behind Rhys as he walked up to the bar. He could hear the commotion and music coming from inside. He opened the door to see people sitting around tables drinking beers. They stopped talking when the door opened. Rhys and Drew stood at the entrance. The bartender stepped around the bar.