Chapter 25

Anna stretched her arms up over her head as she yawned. She looked to the side to see that Rhys was still asleep. The air had been leaking out of the air mattress and it forced them closer together as they dipped toward the middle. She struggled to get out of the bed without waking Rhys. The mattress rocked as she stood. Rhys groaned, but his eyes stayed closed.

Anna looked around the basement to see that Calvin and Huxley were also asleep. Drew was missing, and the futon he was sleeping on had the blankets folded and stacked on the end.

She licked her lips, and her mouth and throat were dry. She wanted a glass of water and she remembered that the door to the stairway was in the kitchen. She assumed it was okay to go upstairs. She expected Drew to also be in the kitchen.

Anna grabbed a dress and underwear from her suitcase and went to the bathroom. She was quick to change her clothes and pulled out a plaid flannel shirt and left it open over her dress. She kept her hair in a messy braid.

She went up the stairs and the door was open a crack. The light was peering into the dark stairwell. There was the sound of a moan when she got up to the top of the staircase. She pushed the door open a crack and peered into the kitchen.

Sybil was sitting on the counter. Her hands were buried into Drew's long hair. His hands were gripping her waist. Their lips were attacking each other as they were both lightly moaning. Sybil wrapped her legs around Drew's waist as Drew trailed his lips down her neck. Her head was tilted back and her eyes were closed. Neither of them saw Anna.

Anna bit down on her lip. Sybil talked about having a family. Sybil had a husband that was sleeping upstairs. She recalled Calvin saying that Sybil was Drew's ex-girlfriend.

She crept back down the stairs. Huxley was sitting on the edge of the futon. He was digging the heel of his palms into his eyes in an attempt to wake. Anna hurried over to Huxley and sat next to him. Huxley yawned as he pulled his hands away from his face.

"Is Sybil married?" Anna asked in a hushed voice.

Huxley furrowed his brows together.

"Yes, she is," he said. "Why are you asking?"

"Sybil and Drew are making out in the kitchen," she said.

Huxley bit down on his lip to stop himself from laughing. He put his arm around Anna's neck, pulled her in close, and rubbed his fist on the top of her head. Anna giggled and pushed him away.

"Were you being a creeper and watching them?" Huxley asked.

"I saw them for like a second," Anna said. "I just wanted a glass of water."

"Let's go get you that water."

Huxley stood up. He swung his arms from side to side to crack his back. He rubbed his neck as he headed toward the stairs. Anna stayed close behind him as Huxley hurried up the steps. He was taking them two at a time, so she struggled to keep up.

"Wow, I slept like a baby," Huxley announced in a voice that was louder than normal. "I feel like a new man. I'm ready to take on the world!"

He came to the door. He looked over his shoulder at Anna and winked. Huxley opened the door. Sybil was grabbing pans and turning on the stove. Drew was combing his fingers through his hair and tied it back in a bun. Sybil pulled milk and eggs out of the fridge. She looked over her shoulder and smirked at Drew.

"You wanted water, Anna?" Huxley asked.

"Glasses are in the cupboard over there," Sybil said as she pointed.

Anna grabbed a glass and filled it full of water. Sybil grabbed a loaf of bread because she was making breakfast. Sybil smiled at Anna and extended her hand out toward her. Anna reached out and shook it.

"Sorry I didn't introduce myself last night," Sybil said. "I'm a Sybil. I met the gang about twenty years ago."

"I'm Anna," she said. "Thank you for letting us stay here."

"Not a problem," Sybil said. "Just don't let my children know you're vampires. I haven't told them you're real yet."

Anna nodded her head before taking a sip of water. There was the sound of someone walking around upstairs. She leaned against the counter and a middle-aged man walk into the kitchen. His dark hair was peppered with grey and his skin was sagging around his eyes. He smiled when he saw that his kitchen was full of strangers.

"Honey, I see your friends got here safely," the man said. He reached forward and shook Drew's hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm Richard."

"My name is Drew," he said. "This is Anna and Huxley. Rhys and Calvin are still in the basement."

"Wow, full house."

Richard's eyes darted around and then he leaned in closer to Drew.

"I know about the whole undead thing," Richard said. "I want you to know I pass no judgment."

"Rich!" Sybil's mouth hung open in shock.

Richard held his hands up in defense. Drew chuckled. Was he laughing because of what Richard said or because Richard was totally unaware he was just making out with his wife?

"What?" Richard said. "I just want them to know that I am not discriminating against them for their choices."

"Thank you, sir," Huxley said.

"No need to 'sir' me," he said. "You're probably older than me."

"Only by like seventy-five years."

Richard's eyes went wide and a wide smile spread across his face.

"Really?" Richard asked. "How did you die?"

"Rich!" Sybil yelled. "You can't ask questions like that."

"I'm curious!" Rich exclaimed. "I've never met a vampire before."

"You need to be quiet. I don't want the girls hearing you."

Richard let out a deep breath and nodded. He went over to the dining room table and sat down in front of his laptop. Sybil stood at the stove making breakfast.

Rhys came up the stairs buttoning up the top of his shirt. He smiled when he looked at Anna. She took another drink of water.

"What's on the agenda for today, boss?" Huxley asked Rhys.

"Do whatever you want," Rhys said. "I've spent four days in a car with you. I need a break."

"I've always wanted to see the art gallery," Anna said.

Rhys smiled and put his hand on her waist. She kept the glass of water in front of her face and looked up at him.

"We can go," Rhys said.

"I'm going alone," Anna said.

"Not a chance," Rhys said. "I'm not leaving you alone in a city full of people."

"I'll go with Huxley."

Huxley beamed with a smile. He opened his mouth to say something, but Rhys held out his hand to silence him.

"Listen to what I am saying," Rhys said. "You and I are going to the art gallery together."

Anna wanted to snap back with a sarcastic response, but her tongue was frozen in her mouth. Rhys noticed her hesitation and smirked. Anna set her glass down on the counter. She rolled her eyes as she walked toward the staircase.

"Do you want to go now or wait for breakfast?" Rhys called after her.

She stopped and turned on her heels.

"If I'm forced to spend the day with you the least you can do is buy me a coffee," she said. "I'm going to get my jacket."