Chapter 47

"It's only like seven degrees out and you decided to wear a dress?" Rhys asked Anna.

She chuckled as she brought the cup of coffee up to her lips. They were sitting inside a small cafe that they found in Montreal. Anna was surprised at how uncramped the car felt when they traveled with only three of them inside. The eight-hour car trip to Quebec went by in silence. Neither Rhys nor Drew wanted to speak to each other. Even now, the two sat across the table from each other not saying a word.

Alice tossed one of her curls over her shoulder before smirking.

"I got the girl into fashion," she said. "What can I say."

"I don't want to hear you complain if you catch a cold," Rhys said.

"I think she looks nice," Drew said.

Anna placed her hand on Drew's arm. Nelly had taken Anna's cast off yesterday, but her wrist was still sore. Drew stopped twirling his empty cup in his hands and looked up.

"Thank you," Anna said.

"You're welcome." He flashed her a smile.

"I saw flyers for a new club opening," Molly said. "How about we go tonight? I'm feeling a little hungry. It's 80s night."

"Huxley would have loved that," Anna said. "I say we go."

"We should go find something to wear," Molly said.

"Good idea," Anna said. "Let me go to the washroom first."

She stood up and walked over to the bathroom. Afterward, she sighed when she looked in the mirror and could not see her reflection looking back at her. She wondered how long it would take before she remembered what she looked like. She wondered if her appearance would ever change.

She opened the bathroom door, and a girl was standing outside the door waiting. Anna gasped when she recognized the girl that was around her age. They shared the same long blonde hair and bright blue eyes. It was her cousin, Marissa.

Marissa's eyes grew wide when she saw Anna. She squealed as she threw her arms around Anna's neck. Anna was frozen in shock. Her chest tightened in fear.

"Oh my god, Anna!" she said. "What a small world. How have you been? Jonathan was worried. No one has heard from you in so long."

"Yeah." Anna cleared her throat as she tried to think of a lie. "I left school for a bit to go on a road trip. It was kind of a spontaneous thing to do. I did not tell Jonathan before leaving."

"Spontaneous?" Marissa raised a brow. "That's unlike you."

Anna shrugged and chuckled.

"I've been unlike myself a lot lately," she said.

Marissa's eyes darted around the cafe to make sure no one was near them. Anna could see Rhys staring at them. Marissa spoke in a harsh whisper.

"Do you know where Jonathan is?" she asked. "He told me that a lot of them were going hunting down in Niagara Falls. No one has heard anything from them since. You don't think something bad happened to them, do you?"

Anna placed her hands on Marissa's shoulders and tried to give her a reassuring smile.

"They are fine," Anna said. "You know Jonathan can go a few days without saying anything."

"I really sure hope so," Marissa said. "I'd stake any vampire that would have killed him."

Anna forced the smile to stay on her lips despite how she wanted to scowl.

"It was nice seeing you, Marissa," she said.

She stepped around Marissa. She forced herself to walk to the table because her feet wanted her to take off running. Anna put her hand on Rhys's shoulder and leaned down.

"Who was that, Anna?" Rhys asked.

"We need to go," she said. "That was my cousin."

"Your cousin?"

"Yes, and she is wondering where Jonathan is. She is a vampire hunter too."

Alice let out an exaggerated sigh and rolled her eyes.

"Well, that week we weren't on the run was nice," she said. "Boys, let's get back to it."

The End