Chapter 14

"So you're telling me that we were all filling up on greasy burgers and you two were murdering a hooker?" Huxley asked before he took a bite of his toast.

"Seriously?" Calvin asked. "You couldn't have said that any louder."

Anna's eyes darted around the small diner they had found after a couple hours of driving. Rhys told Anna not to touch Olivia's body. She had rushed to get herself packed and to the car. Rhys was calm as he checked them out of the motel under a fake name. They were all scarfing down their breakfast, but Anna was pushing her scrambled eggs around the plate with her fork. They requested a meal with no salt, and it gained them strange looks and a tasteless meal.

"We've all killed a lady of the night," Huxley said in a much lower voice. "They're easy targets. I just thought that you would have invited us in on the action."

"After spending fourteen hours in a car with you, the last thing I wanted to do was go to a seedy bar together," Rhys said. Huxley opened his mouth to speak, but Rhys held out his hand to silence him. "You're driving with Drew. I'm going to throw you out the window if I hear one more thing about the beauty of nature."

"You're telling me I have to put up with him?" Drew asked.

Huxley lowered his head. Anna reached out and put her hand on his arm.

"Why don't Huxley and I drive together?" she asked. "I don't mind."

"No," Rhys said. "Neither of you know the way."

"Don't you have a GPS or something?" Anna asked. "Can't we follow you on the highway?"

"It's too risky," Rhys said. "We don't need to waste time by the two of you getting lost."

"How do you know the way so well?" Anna asked.

"Rhys goes up to visit the Blakesley family every few years," Calvin said.

Calvin pushed his empty plate to the middle of the table. Anna dabbed her mouth with a napkin. She switched Huxley's empty plate with her breakfast. Huxley's lips lifted into a smile as he ate her food.

"It's settled," Rhys said. "Anna and I are together, and the rest of you three are in the other car."

"Good thing I brought my headphones," Calvin said.

Rhys dropped a couple of twenties on the table and they left. Huxley was already speaking before Calvin shoved him in the back of the car. Anna climbed into the passenger seat and Rhys got into the driver's seat. He did not say a word as they pulled out of the parking lot.

Anna looked out the window at the trees and mountains that surrounded them. She thought back to her conversation with Drew and what she read in her grandmother's notebook. She wanted to ask Rhys questions and this felt like the perfect opportunity. They were stuck in a car and he could not escape her.

"I have a question." Anna said.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Why did you feed me your blood?" she asked.

Rhys furrowed his brows as he glanced over at Anna. She nervously picked at the skin around her fingernails.

"Why are you asking that?" he asked. "I let you drink my blood because you weren't ready to feed yet."

"Then why did you feed it to me when I was unconscious?" she asked. "When I was transitioning into this?"

"What are you talking about? Have you been talking to Drew?"

Anna nodded. She looked up from her fingers to see Rhys had a tight grip on the steering wheel.

"That doesn't matter," she said. "You were feeding it to me when I was unconscious. Why would you do that?"