Chapter 38

Anna stormed out of the club. She waved away the cloud of cigarette smoke coming from the smokers standing outside. She coughed and hurried away from the building.

Anna looked over her shoulder to see Rhys push his way through the club doors. He looked around to see Anna. She stumbled in her heels as she tried to rush down the sidewalk faster. The last thing she wanted to do was talk to him. Rhys would want to keep an eye on her because she was hungry. She almost bit that random man she was dancing with inside the club. His neck was inches away from her fangs and Anna salivated at the thought of his sweet blood.

This is why Rhys was always talking about how she was his responsibility.

"Anna!" Rhys yelled.

She looked over her shoulder and glared.

"I'm not talking to you," she said.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"To the church."

"You need to go back to the club."

Rhys caught up and grabbed Anna's elbow. She spun around and punched him in the chest. Rhys rolled his eyes and yanked her forward. She swung again and aimed for his face. Rhys snatched her wrist inches away from his nose.

"Don't be difficult," he said.

Anna dug the heels of her shoes into the concrete as Rhys dragged her back to the club.

He muttered a curse. He should have waited until Anna fed before he bit her and gave her mind back. He had hoped that Anna would not have been this furious.

"Let go of me!" she yelled.

"You need to feed," he said. "We're about to eat at the club."

The pain had been creeping itself into Anna's stomach. She had tried to ignore it, but she knew that it would soon overtake her body.

She yanked her arm out of Rhys's hold. He turned to look at her. She crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

"I will go," she said. "I don't need you to drag me there."

"Good," he said. "Now walk."

Anna kept space between them so that he would not try to reach for her again. She did not want him touching her, and it was a relief that she didn't struggle to keep away from Rhys. They were back in the cloud of cigarette smoke before they went into the club.

Anna's glanced over to the bar. She could no longer see Lucia and Huxley. She scanned the dancefloor, hoping to see them there, but they were nowhere to be seen.

Alice ran across the club toward Anna and Rhys. She had the arm of the man she was dancing with earlier. Roger was trailing behind them. He looked at the floor when he saw Rhys. His nose was forming a black and purple bruise. Alice winked at Anna.

"Anna!" Alice shouted over the music. "Garrett and Roger want us to go back to their place. They are parked in the back lot and are going to drive us."

"Go," Rhys said as he put his hand on Anna's waist.

She swatted his hand off of her side. She glared at Rhys.

"I don't need you telling me what to do," she snapped.

She grabbed Roger's hand and pulled him away from Rhys. Roger took a hesitant look at Rhys before following beside Anna. Alice and Garrett were close behind.

They did not make it out of the club before a chorus of screaming began. Roger and Garrett froze and looked over at the dance floor. The vampires from the church all had their fangs deep into a human's neck. People scattered and tried to flee from the club. The vampires who were not on the dance floor snatched the running people and sank their fangs into them. Anna could see Rhys and Drew each drinking from a girl. Bodies were falling to the floor, and the vampires were stepping over them and grabbing another human.

Garrett let out a scream and fell to his knees when Alice jumped and bit him. Roger's eyes were wide as he looked down at Anna. Her eyes had gone black. Roger screamed a curse that could barely be heard over the screams.

Anna stepped on Roger's instep of his foot. He leaned over in pain, and she took the opportunity to wrap her arms around his neck. The delicious taste of his blood filled her mouth as her fangs pierced his flesh. She drank from him greedily until his body fell to the floor. She wiped the back of her mouth as she stood.

Rhys hurried across the bar and grabbed her arm. He pulled her out of the back door of the club among the fleeing people. Alice was attacking another girl who was trying to get away. Drew was rushing across the club to follow Rhys and Anna.

Rhys snaked his arm around Anna's waist and pulled her close as they ran into the parking lot. Anna was too busy staring at the people running in terror to realize Rhys was touching her. She tried not to stumble in her heels as they made their way to the car. Rhys pushed Anna into the back seat. Rhys and Drew climbed into the front.

Anna touched her chin and her fingers came back bloody. Anna pulled a wet wipe out of her purse and cleaned her face. She passed two up to Rhys and Drew.

Vampires were jumping onto the backs of humans that were running and knocking them down to the pavement. They tore into their necks and blood splattered everywhere. The screams were dying down as bodies littered the parking lot.

Lucia strolled past the front of the car. She was tying her blonde hair up onto the top of her hair. Blood was dripping down her chin. She looked over at them sitting in the car. Her eyes connected with Anna's and Lucia winked before walking away.

"Where's Huxley?" Anna asked.

"He's probably still feeding," Rhys said. "We'll meet him back at the church."

Rhys put the keys in the ignition and revved the engine. The headlights lit up the massacre that was occurring in front of them. Rhys began to back up before the door next to Anna flew open. She slid to the side as Huxley crawled in. His hands were coated in blood.

"Thanks for leaving me behind," Huxley said. "Were you seriously going to leave without me?"

"We assumed you were a mindless zombie around Lucia," Drew said.

Huxley crossed his arms and slumped in the seat.

"Zombies aren't a real thing," he said.

"Aren't we going to wait for Calvin?" Anna asked.

"I saw him with Nelly," he said. "They're having a great time."

"Say no more," Rhys said.

He pulled out of the parking lot and headed back to the church.