Meet You There (F.W.)

*angst, major character death

Ages 8 and 7

"Freddie! Did you see? Did you see what I did?"

Eight year old Fred squealed with delight as you did a tiny little backflip on your broom in the air outside the Burrow. The pinks and purples of the sky were melting together, and he knew that night was growing nearer. "I did, Y/N! Can't wait 'til we both get to Hogwarts and can play Quidditch together. You're going to make a fantastic Seeker. That was bloody brilliant!"

"Frederick Weasley!"

Molly's voice was shrill, but she peered out through the window of her kitchen and shook her head, as if she were trying to guess how many times she'd scolded Fred already today. She sighed, choosing to fight a different battle than that of his language. "It's supper time, Freddie."

The both of you flew gently to the ground and landed. You tossed Fred the extra broomstick and wiped the sweat from your forehead. "See you tomorrow then?"

"Nah, later," Fred replied. He nodded toward the other end of the large field in front of his house. "After dinner, let's go up the hill and look at the stars for a bit. My dad says there are supposed to be wicked constellations tonight!"

You giggled before pulling your hair back off of your shoulders and turning to head back toward your own house just around the bend. "Don't let you mum see you!"

"Don't worry," Fred told you with a mischievous glint in his eyes, "I won't. Meet you there!"

Ages 11 and 10

It wasn't fair. It just wasn't fair. How come Fred would get to start at Hogwarts without you? Your mum told you it was because he was already eleven. You still had a few months until your birthday. But it still wasn't fair!

You slumped on the couch next to the empty fireplace as Fred attempted to bring his huge trunk down the steps. They both hit the floor with a loud thump!

"Bloody help me, won't you?"

"Not when you talk to me like that," you frowned. It didn't take long before the two of you were erupting into giggles, though.

Fred placed himself beside you and gently elbowed you in the ribs. "Hey, don't be so sad. You'll be at Hogwarts in just a year's time. And besides, aren't you excited that I'll know my way around the castle, and I'll be able to tell you all the places to avoid and the best times to sneak out of the common rooms?"

You huffed and kicked his foot before beginning to tug at the hem of your shirt. "You wouldn't! You'll get me into all sorts of shenanigans, and.. and.. probably detention.. and probably turn my hair bright green or something!"

"Only if you're placed into Slytherin," Fred grinned. The sunlight flooding the windows highlighted the dimple on the right side of his face. "So it'd better be Gryffindor."

You rolled your eyes. "And how are you so sure you're going to be placed in Gryffindor, mister?"

Fred pointed at himself, as if to say, isn't it obvious? "The whole lot of my family has been in Gryffindor for years! George and I aren't going to break that streak. What kind of Weasley d'you think I am?"

"The annoying kind?"

"That's plain rude," Fred replied before thwacking you with a throw pillow. The two of you began hitting one another incessantly before Mr. Weasley's calls came from outside. It was time to go. You were embarrassed at how quickly the tears welled up in your eyes, and you turned toward the fireplace so Fred wouldn't see.