The Switch (F.W.)

It was late in the afternoon when you heard a bunch of laughter and whispers from behind you. You noticed their reflections in the window and sighed. These two were about to squash any hope that you had of finishing this Divination paper before the end of the evening. You put your quill down and took a deep breath.

"Hey," Fred said brightly. You turned around to see them taking their places on either side of you.

"We need your help," George told you plainly, crossing his arms and leaning back against the table. He pushed your parchment to the side so as not to smear the wet ink. "Pretty please."

You folded your arms across your chest and rolled your eyes at their request. You already didn't like this. "And what, may I ask, d'you need my help with?"

"Georgie here needs some assistance with his Potions essay, and we all know what a great Potions master you are, Y/N—a young, female Professor Snape, if you will."

You sneered at them both as they erupted into laughter. You furrowed your brows in confusion. You looked back and forth between the two of them quite hurriedly—wasn't it George who'd just spoken? Before you could make any snap judgements, the twin on your left continued with a cheeky grin— "I'd assist him but I've still got detention with McGonagall for trying to transfigure that Slytherin into a fish during class."

"So what do you say?" the twin you knew was Fred asked you, pouting a bit. "Will you help me?"

You felt your heart begin to pound against your ribcage as Fred pleaded with you—the thundering of your heart began for no reason, of course, other than that you were worried you weren't going to finish your Divination assignment in time. You suppressed the thought. It occurred to you that whatever type of mischief they were up too, they're not going to go down without a fight. So at this point, you might as well just go along with their harmless little scheme.

You licked your lips impatiently and said, "Okay then, George—" it was quite obvious to you that it's Fred you've been speaking too; you'd know that smirk from a mile away— "Let's get started, then. Have a grand old time in detention, Fred. I reckon you probably deserve it."

Fred laughed haughtily while he pulled his spellbooks out from his bag; George, on the other hand, stood up rather begrudgingly and slumped his shoulders. "Yeah—not one of my brighter ideas, I reckon," he complained through gritted teeth with a sneer at Fred. He left you both in the crowded Great Hall and vanished in the corridor with a wink as quickly as he'd arrived just a few minutes prior.

"So what's this assignment?" you asked.

"Have got to finish this essay on Everlasting Elixirs," Fred replied, pulling at his hair. His frown deepened when he looked down at the half finished essay in front of him.

"And why've you come to me for this?"

"You're the best at Potions in our year," he told you, as if it were obvious. You couldn't help but grin at him. "Well, at least that's what Fred says."

"Oh really?" you asked. You couldn't help it. He'd piqued your interest.

"Can't say I don't agree with him," Fred smirked, "bloke knows what he's talking about."

"Sure does," you replied, feeling your heart rate increase a bit, "but the lad still ends up in ridiculous schemes that land the two of you in detention more often than not."

Fred frowned again before a small grin began tugging at the edges of his lips, "Yeah, well—what can we say? Always trying to impress people, we are."

"Mhmm," you agreed, peering down at the parchment to see just how far he'd gotten in his assignment. Not far at all. You had quite the evening in front of you. "Alright, so, let's open to the chapter.."