Chase (F.W.)

Harry seemed very on edge—but not for the reasons everyone thought. Sure, Dumbledore was ignoring his every move, Voldemort was at large and an impending war was coming—not to mention every time Cho Chang so much as looked over at him, his heart nearly leapt into his chest, and Umbridge was taking over the entire bloody school, but no. There was something else putting him over the edge.

Slytherin's Quidditch team had found a new team captain.

Angelina Johnson was also feeling the nerves. It didn't help that Draco Malfoy was sneering from across the great hall, his broomstick gripped tightly in his hand, stocking up on a hearty meal before the match this afternoon.

"We've just heard," Fred said as he plopped himself down at the Gryffindor table, scooping a considerable amount of eggs onto his breakfast plate. "Who is it?"

"Dunno," Harry replied, looking rather disgruntled as he poked at his cereal bowl. "Reckon we'll meet him before the match?"

Angelina shook her head.

"What're you on about?" George asked as he sipped his coffee.

"Not a 'him'," Katie Bell replied, half impressed but also incredibly nervous.

Fred, George, and Harry nearly choked on their food at the same time. "It's a girl?"

Angelina, along with Katie and Alicia, looked at them with disgust and furrowed brows. "I'm a girl, and I'm the captain, you tosspots."

The men cleared their throats and apologized, embarrassed at their surprise when learning of their new opponent. Fred gazed out the windows, holding his head in his hands. Wonder was flooding his mind. "Slytherin hasn't had a girl as captain in, how many years? Reckon she must be really wicked, then—"

"Thanks, Weasley," you said, emerging from a group of students. He whirled around and peered admiringly at you, your hair glistening against your green robes, "but don't think for one second we'll take it easy on you out there."

Draco and his little goblins for friends began to laugh menacingly from the Slytherin table as they chucked tiny pieces of food at the Gryffindor team, but stopped abruptly when you shot them a glare. You seemed to be the only person Malfoy would take orders from.. aside from professors.. Perhaps because he, too, wanted to be Quidditch captain one day, and needed to be on your good side? You narrowed your eyes, "Shove off, Malfoy—I won't tolerate your nonsense or you can spectate."

"Ooh, a Slytherin who puts Malfoy in his place?" Fred asked as the Gryffindor team chucked softly, seemingly impressed with the fact that you weren't a fellow house member fawning over Draco and his bullshit he loved to fling. He stood up and pretended to faint, "I seem to be falling in love."

"Down, boy." You pushed him playfully back into his seat. Turning towards the other team members, you retort, "I have loyalty to my house, no doubt—but I tolerate next to nothing. Any funny business from them and you come to me straight away, yeah?" With a curt nod from Angelina and a firm handshake, you wished the opposing team good luck. "See you on the pitch."

Fred sat, stunned at your leadership, overjoyed at Malfoy's embarrassment, and seemed not as ready for the match as he previously had. His eyes followed you out of the Great Hall, and he suddenly felt very anxious to get out onto the pitch as soon as he possibly could.

"She's about the only fair captain Slytherin's ever had," Angelina told the team. "Could be worse. Chins up, everyone."

Harry gulped down the rest of his pumpkin juice a little too quick.

The match was underway, the score 90 to 80, Slytherin with the lead. Fred seemed to be pounding the bludgers harder than ever before, and was flying was too close to you.

"Can I help you, Weasley? I've got a match to win,"

"We'll see about that," he replied, grunting as he knocked a bludger across the pitch. There was a thin line of sweat at his hairline. You caught the Quaffle, dodged a few Gryffindor members, and passed it to another Slytherin chaser. "So—first female team captain in quite a while,"

"Color you impressed?" you asked, as he followed you on his broom in your general direction. You were passed the Quaffle, and scored. Surprisingly, Fred didn't whine.

"Yeah—I am, actually," he admitted, his cheeks flushing red.

After a few more goals, and the capture of the snitch, it was announced that Slytherin had won the match. You shot a look at Malfoy, as if to say, Don't even think about it.

"Great match," you shook Angelina's hand before all flying down to the grass. The rest of the Gryffindor team looked absolutely dreadful. You felt a twinge of guilt in your heart. But Fred, however, seemed to not even notice their own loss—he was too busy watching you, floating on his broom in midair, seemingly in some sort of trance.

He caught up to you as you were heading to the Slytherin changing rooms. "So how d'you like being Chaser?"

A laugh escaped your lips when he startled you, and you whirled around to see his bright red hair sticking up in every which direction, distant red marks on his face from his goggles, and a half smile so sensual it could've knocked you over.

"You trying to get to know me, or something?"

"You could say that," Fred replied, bouncing his broomstick from hand to hand in front of him. You felt your heartrate speed up a considerable amount, which surprised you. You weren't the nervous type.

Seems as though Fred caught on, because he laughed.

"C'mon—would a drink kill you?" he nodded in the direction of Hogsmeade.

"What's the catch?"

"No catch—although I admit, you've a right to think of such a thing." He paused, rolling up his Quidditch robe sleeves to his elbows and adjusting the tightness of his gloves. "You just.. intrigue me."

You repeated him. "I intrigue you."

He smirked and nodded at you.

"Okay," you laughed, adjusting your uniform carefully. "Suppose a drink would be fine. But don't go getting any ideas, Weasley. No falling in love with me."

He winked at you before turning around towards the rest of the Gryffindor team. "I don't make promises I'm not sure I'll be able to keep." You stood, a bit stunned at how forward he was, when he made your insides flip yet again— "besides, can't say I don't love the chase."