Protection (F.W.)

*contains angst

"Think we could just.. skip the wedding, perhaps.. stay up here for the evening, run away tomorrow morning, find a little cottage somewhere and grow old together?"

You laugh softly and push playfully on his chest. "Freddie—"

"Doubt mum would even notice," he replies, gently running his thumb across your cheek and down your neck, across your shoulder blades, over the goosebumps rising on your arms, "she'll be crying the entire time, anyway. C'mon—" he jokes, pulling you closer to him, "we won't be missing much, will we?"

"Don't let your future sister-in-law hear you," you tell him, wrapping your arms around the back of his neck. "Promise we'll have some alone time later. You've to help the guests when they arrive. Also—you, sir, promised me a few dances, don't you remember?"

Fred pauses and considers this for a moment. "You sure you want me to embarrass you like that? In front of all these people, no less?"

You laugh again, letting him twirl you on the spot in the middle of Ginny's bedroom. He tightens his grip around your waist and begins to slowly lean from side to side, careful not to step on your feet. He stifles a bit of a giggle when he notices you watching. "Yes, my love, I want you to embarrass me—for the rest of our lives."

— -

George, Bill, and Charlie are a few drinks for the worse at this point. The summer heat is dying down, the sun has completely set behind the hills in front of the Burrow. Fred, dancing horrendously next to his twin in the middle of the dance floor but doing his best to pace himself, holds out his hand to you and pulls you into him.

"I love dancing with you," he says against your ear.

You hum appreciatively as he squeezes your hips and spins you on the spot, and you both glance at Mrs. Weasley in the corner grinning emotionally at all of her sons and their dates on the dance floor. You turn back to Fred and shake your empty drink at him. "In need of a refill, are we?" He grins lazily at you and you say after placing a hand softly to his cheek, "Be back in a jiff, darling."

You feel a body appear next to you as you approach the table. You turn; a strapping young man in dark colored robes grins at you and sticks out his hand to introduce himself. It's firm; his smile brightens more when you take his hand in yours and tell him your name.

"Pleasure to meet you," you reply, turning back to pour yourself another drink.

He takes you by surprise and asks, "Care to dance?"

"Oh, I'm flattered—" you're nearly tripping over your words now, a bit stunned at how forward he is. You nod to Fred in the middle of the crowd again, "I've actually, erm, got to get back to my fiancé."

"Fiancé?" he asks with wide eyes, but still—there's something rather flirtatious in the way he's eyeing you; it doesn't seem as though he cares at all that you're engaged. He inches a bit closer. "Young girl like you, already tied up? Shame, really."

It's as if this comment alone calls out to Fred like a signal of some sorts, because before you know it, you feel a hand snake itself around your waist, pulling you closer to him. Fred is there; his eyes have darkened slightly, something you've noticed happens in bouts of jealousy. His lips form a thin line; it's always odd to you when Fred becomes irritable, jealous, angry, when normally, he's the one who's always having a laugh.

"Can I help you?" he asks, squaring up the man across from him. You can feel his fingers tighten around your hips and it's hard for you not to laugh at the tickle it's causing. You clear your throat in an attempt to suppress your laughter.