So Little Time (F.W.)

"Blimey! Charlie, you've got to be barking mad,"

The second eldest Weasley brother laughs at the stunned faces of his siblings. A few loud roars shake the forest; Charlie turns back and watches as the other tamers interact with the dragons in their cages.

"Maybe so," Charlie agrees, eyes widening in wonder at the creatures before him, "but you've got to admit—they're rather marvelous, aren't they?"

George actually snorts; he slings an arm across Ron's shoulders. Ron is looking positively awful—he's actually shrinking back into George to avoid getting any closer. Ginny, however, is biting down on her bottom lip to suppress a large smile, her eyes wide and bright. Perhaps she too, like her older brother, will end up working with such magnificent creatures?

"Ha! 'Marvelous'," George echoes, "You're out of your mind. Right, Freddie?"

But Fred is the only Weasley sibling not at all paying attention to the dragons in front of him; you seem to have caught his eye instead.

Charlie notices this and shakes his head. "For Merlin's sake, Fred, can you please not pick up any of my colleagues whilst I'm here for a visit?"

Fred blushes a bit, but continues to grin mischievously; Charlie and the others are only here for a few short days. He hasn't got much time with you, but somehow, he thinks he might not need it. Turning to look at his older brother, he laughs a bit, "Can't make any promises, mate."

The larger than life Hungarian Horntail begins to roar loudly yet again, large blazes of fire emitting from it's cage, but you're standing next to it's cage with a few others, gently stroking it's body and calming it down. Charlie continues to discuss each and every creature with wide-eyed George, Ron, and Ginny. They don't notice when Fred sneaks away, unaccompanied for, over to you once you've removed yourself from any potential danger.

"That Horntail," he says suddenly, taking you by surprise, "nasty little bugger, isn't he?"

You twirl around, leaving Fred nearly breathless, but he slams his hands into his pockets and bites down, waiting with baited breath for a response. And much to his surprise, and delight, you offer one.

"Sometimes," you reply, your voice light and airy. You grin at him and continue, "just misunderstood, is all."

Sounds a bit like Hagrid, Fred thinks, peering over at the other end toward where the Gamekeeper stands. Turning his attention back to you, he introduces himself and asks, "How long are you in town for?"

"Just a few days," you tell him, "Charlie says the dragons are needed for some type of tournament your school is hosting? I hope the Headmaster knows what he's doing." You let a laugh escape your lips and Fred feels his knees weaken. You continue, nodding toward the eldest Weasley, "Charlie—he's your brother—yes?"

"How could you tell?" Fred jokes.

You laugh at his teasing. "He's quite nice, he is," you explain, reaching down to grab your bottle of water, "Makes me realize I'm not as mad as I think I am for dealing with creatures as dangerous as dragons."

"I don't think you're mad," Fred tells you sheepishly. Just then, a cage a few feet away nearly topples over; the Chinese Fireball is going bonkers inside, and another loud roar shakes the forest and nearly breaks a tree in half. You and Fred both glance toward it, and then again at one another, and burst into laughter. When he regains his composure, he says to you, "Okay, erm, maybe a little bit."

"Regardless—I take it as a compliment," you smile. Then, out of curiosity, you ask, "d'you know what on earth these dragons could be used for?"

Fred's surprised you don't know; he thinks on this for a moment, and then he decides to go with, "I have a bad feeling that the people selected are going to have to battle them in some way or another,"

You furrow your brows and make a nervous sort of expression, "Oh dear—that doesn't sound good! Dragons are rather difficult to train, and attempting to outsmart them is extremely dangerous. Ah well—will make for quite the show, won't it? I can't wait!"

"Will you be there?" Fred asks, surprised.

"We've got to stand by and watch guard—for what, most of us haven't been told, but I'm assuming, of course, in the off chance that something goes wrong."

Fred's smiling now; he's suddenly feeling even more excited for this first task. Then George is calling out to him, motioning for him to hurry up already! Snape will murder us if we're late for Potions! Fred groans softly and turns back toward you.

"Don't want to anger that.. Snape man your twin speaks of," you laugh, pulling out types of supplies and things of the like from your vest pockets. "It was nice to meet you, Fred. Perhaps I'll see you round the weekend?"

Fred doesn't want his time with you to end; he's desperately yearning for more, thinking of ways to see you over your few days here. You're walking back toward the dragons when finally, it hits him. A solution: "Want to sit with me on Saturday?"

You turn back around, a bit confused. "At—at this task, you mean?"

"Yeah," he approaches you again, ignoring George's frantic calls from a few feet away. "Maybe you could tell me a little more about these dangerous things."

You grin, "I'm merely a student, still—surely your brother is much more knowledgeable than I?"

"I'd rather hear it from you, to be honest."

The two of you laugh together, and then you reply, "You trying to get to know me, or something?"

"Yeah," Fred admits, "Something like that. We've only got so much time together, you know."

Fred notices nerves overcome you; you glance down at your shoes and bite down on your bottom lip to suppress a large grin. He's forward, he knows that, but it's always seemed to work for him. And then, to his surprise, you reply, "Well maybe I'll just have to come back the next time Charlie comes to visit."

He's nearly putty in your hands as your bright smile washes over him; he can't seem to think straight anymore and is about to punch his twin straight in the face if he keeps harassing him— "I'd like that."

"Me, too."

"FRED!" George roars almost as loudly as the dragons. "If you don't hurry up, I'm not covering for you this time! Bloody hell mate, how many more detentions do we need?!" Ron, Ginny, and Charlie fall into a fit of raucous laughter.

Fred begrudgingly turns toward you to bid you farewell. He shrugs toward his twin and says, "Better run—I've got the wrath of my Potions professor to fear,"

"And I, the wrath of these beasts,"

"See you Saturday, then?"

"Can't wait."