Worth the Risk (F.W.)

He was so incredibly persistent. It was outrageous.

It helped that he was cute.

"You're a piece of work, you know that?"

He was taken aback by your statement and stopped for a moment, as you continued to dust the books in the library without even looking at him.

Detention. His fault. You were just caught in the middle.

You'd never once received detention. Not once! And now, in your final year, here you were.

Fred had been setting off some type of miniature fireworks in the middle of an empty classroom you'd been studying in, doing so to try and... impress you? Make you ask questions? Fall into his arms in pure infatuation? You didn't bloody know what. Snape had a field day with it and sent you two straight away.

And Fred sincerely thought that detention would be an appropriate place to ask you out.

You would've been on cloud nine had you not been so sincerely pissed off at him for landing you in this very situation.

He laughed sarcastically. "S-seriously? That's all you have to say?"

You barely nodded. You continued on your work, making sure Madam Pince didn't hear a peep from either of you.

Fred cleared his throat and smirked. "You haven't given me an answer to my question,"

You'd finished quickly, but Fred—too busy trying to win you over—still had many shelves to finish. You picked up your bag and slung it over your shoulder. You glanced at him before turning around and exiting the library, "And you're not going to get one."

But Fred Weasley did not give up that easily.

"I'll get one!" He called out after you, and Madam Pince shushed him angrily.

You smiled to yourself the entire way back to your dormitory.

It wasn't that you didn't like him—he just happened to get you rather angry, since the detention was really his fault, anyway. You did like him, of course, as did everyone—both him and his twin. Actually... you were sort of head over heels for him, and you always had been. But he'd never felt that way before. The reality of him finally, finally asking you on a date was beginning to hit you as you entered your common room—but you didn't need anything distracting you from your final year. You had all of your big exams coming up and the last thing you needed was to be focused on a redhead and not on your work in front of you.

It would just be easier that way.

You weren't sure when his feelings had changed. You'd been friends since your second year and you'd kept you feelings relatively hidden. But somewhere along the line, things had changed...and he was determined to get you into his arms.

A few days later in Transfiguration, you were carefully listening to McGonagall and taking vigorous notes, when you felt, suddenly, like you had eyes on you. You turned to your right, only to see Fred across the room, leaning on his hand, watching you as if he was in a sort of trance. Delirious. Next to him, George was taking notes and doing his best to stifle laughter.

You glanced at him quizzically, and bit back a smile.

I don't even care, he mouthed to you.

"Mr. Weasley," you heard McGonagall's cool voice waft across the classroom. You turned back towards her, swallowed over a lump in your throat, and prayed to any higher powers above that your cheeks weren't burning bright red.

"Yes?" he asked, slightly embarrassed.

"May I ask you what is so important that you are ignoring my lecture entirely?"