Head in the Clouds (G.W.)

"Don't you just find them absolutely mesmerizing?"

Mesmerizing isn't the exact word that comes to mind when George thinks of blast-ended skrewts. In fact, he kind of really dislikes them, but he's so enthralled by your wide eyes and bright smile, that he doesn't seem to care about anything else.

He glances over toward Fred, who looks rather disgruntled to be paired with some annoyed looking Slytherin girl, and rolls his eyes in the direction of Umbridge, who is standing next to Hagrid at the front of the class. In an attempt to separate the twins—purely because Umbridge is supervising the class—George had ended up with you at Hagrid's request. And if he's being honest, he doesn't dislike it one bit.

You—the shy one. The strange one. The one whose interests seem to differ from everyone else's, the one who marches to the beat of her own drum. The one who others always seem to talk about, including those strange likes of yours. The one who, George realizes now, is quickly stealing his heart.

He grins lazily, watching you as you bend down to get closer to the strange looking creatures in front of you. You stick out your hand, as if to pet them, and George nervously grabs you by your shoulders. "Careful!"

You let out a soft giggle, and George can't help but notice the sun glistening in your eyes and across your hair. He can feel a slight pull at his heart when you peer up at him, and hold out your hand to guide him closer to the skrewts. "Don't worry, I've got you." His head is saying absolutely not, get the bloody hell away from those things, but his heart wants nothing more than to feel your fingers interwoven in his.

"They're just.. different, is all," you say quietly, looking down at the skrewt as it lets out some strange noises. George notices every other student in the class backing away from these odd looking things; but there you are, going against the norm, slowly inching closer to them. He bites down to suppress a grin. "Reckon you just have to do a bit of research, right? Just to understand them a bit better?"

He can almost hear Hagrid in the back of his mind. Misunderstood creatures, is all.

He notices Fred standing up straighter with his arms crossed and eyebrows raised at the sight of you two hand in hand, but George ignores this. He's too focused on the moment. His heart sinks a bit when he hears Umbridge let out a sickeningly sweet laugh, and Hagrid clears his throat gruffly, signaling the end of class.

"What're your thoughts on fire crabs?"

You take George by surprise; he stops in his tracks as he walks next to you, side by side, up to the castle, completely ignoring Fred calling out to him from behind. Instead he clears his throat and replies, "Erm—I dunno, really—never studied them, have we?"

"They're quite cute, actually," you tell him, and George laughs sweetly, "their tortoise-like appearance makes them look less threatening, you know? And that jeweled shell they have—well, it's rather beautiful, isn't it? The bright, shining colors.."

Your voice trails off and floats in between you both and George can't shake the feeling like there's something lodged in his throat. He clears it once, twice, and replies back, "Yeah.. I reckon you're right." He sounds as nervous as he feels, and he prays you won't notice. You don't. It seems that your head is high in the clouds; or, perhaps, it is still back with the skrewts. George, thinking of his own favorite magical creature, asks you, "How about Nifflers?"

"Oh, the cutest!" you tell him excitedly, your eyes sparkling in the sun. Then, you bring a hand to your chin and pause to consider things, thinking a moment. "Although—I do have quite a lot of jewelry at home, so I reckon they wouldn't be the best creature to have around."

George laughs again; he cannot get over how absolutely adorably soft and sweet you are. "Probably not, but—would be perfect if you're ever in search of a treasure of sorts?"