Truth or Dare? (F.W.)

"Truth or dare?"

The Gryffindor common room was buzzing with excitement—now that Umbridge had taken over almost completely, there was barely any area of the castle that was not overturned or watched. At least you still had your sanctuary. She couldn't bother you in there, could she?

For all she knew, each Gryffindor was sound asleep.

"Isn't that a bit.. juvenile?" Hermione asked as she flipped through a book, not looking up from its pages.

Ron just rolled his eyes, turning back towards the group and continued on, completely ignoring Hermione's statement. You could hear her huff loudly on the other end of the common room. "So—who's up first?"

Katie Bell nervously said, "Can't we just play truth or truth instead?" You playfully slapped her on the arm and continued to laugh.

Seamus snorted and replied, "That's hardly a game at all!"

"Blimey," Dean said, plopping himself down on the floor next to Seamus, "I'll go first."

As the sky grew darker and the fire grew warmer, it was becoming easier and easier for Gryffindors to spill their most well-kept secrets. Was it the Butterbeer? The impending doom of Umbridge completely destroying what was left of your school? Voldemort's return that people were still not entirely believing? You weren't sure—all you knew is that for the first time since returning to Hogwarts this year, Harry actually looked happy, for once. You reckoned the distraction was a good one.

You turned towards Fred, who had been strangely quiet during the game—merely observing, grinning cheekily, waiting patiently to take his turn. "You've been awfully quiet," you told him, "got something up your sleeve, have you?"

"Aw, Y/N—what perfect timing you've got." He playfully nudged your arm and stood up. "Pipe down," he told everyone, their laughs continuing to bounce off of the walls in the common room. He glanced right at you and raised his eyebrows up and down. Shit. You swallowed over a lump in your throat. Sure, Fred and George were your best friends, but it didn't stop them from teasing and pranking you mercilessly. If anything, it just gave them more of an excuse too. "Truth or dare?"

"Truth," you blurted out a little too quickly, because whatever Fred Weasley had planned, you knew deep down in your heart you did not want to do it.

"Finally going to admit to everyone you're in love with me, then?" He winked.

You were sure your face was red now. Maybe you could blame it on the copious amount of Butterbeer you'd consumed? Blimey, it was warm—you wished the fire would die down. Everyone seemed to be snickering but not necessarily taking Fred that seriously. Doing your best to not wear your heart on your sleeve, you rolled your eyes at him and replied, "I'm not in love with you, you prat." So that counted as your turn, yes?

But Fred just peered at you and cocked his head to the side, as if to say, Really, Y/N? You're a bloody awful liar, which was true. You were. A bad liar, yes, but also—head over heels for him. Always had been. You thought you'd kept your feelings rather hidden, but nothing could slip past Fred Weasley, you supposed. Next to you, George kept glancing at you and was doing his best to stifle a laugh. Bloody hell—couldn't get anything past him either? You shoved George, took a breath and asked mockingly, "Anything else? Or does that count?"

"Nah—but I haven't any more truths," Fred told you, shrugging his shoulders.

"Got to do a dare now," Harry said, and you shot him a look of, who's side are you on, Potter?

"Reckon Harry's right," George said, and when you narrowed your eyes at him, he put his hands up in surrender, "just playing by the rules!"

You groaned and stood up. "If doing this stupid dare is going to move this game forward, then this dare I shall do." You turned towards Fred, whose arms were folded and he was looking rather impressed indeed. "Let's have it, then."